Nightmare niches and tile layout - comments please

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Shivanjali, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Shivanjali

Shivanjali New Member

We have three bathrooms plus cloakroom to redo starting with first which is small en-suite. I’m not happy with how the niches and tiles have been laid out as nothing is centred. I understand that it can’t be perfectly centred everywhere but would have expected in shower area as that is where your eyes go. The tiles for niches above the toilet have been cut apparently to line up grout lines but are now off centre with flush plate/toilet line. The contractor says they wanted to keep minimal grout lines in shower area, hence starting corner with full tile and working out from there. However the first tile has been cut to 590mm on a 600mm tile. I thought this might be because the wall might not be straight, i.e. wider at the top, but it isn’t. So they will have to cut 10mm off the remaining wall tiles in the corner which seems very odd when they didn’t cut tile around niche. Am I expecting too much?

Attached Files:

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

At first glance it looks like they've done a pretty decent tiling job, dont worry about the grout lines not being perfectly semetrical on all walls and niches, that ideal is rarely possible.
    What I would worry about though is the fact that some of the tiles have been cut short around the niches so that the reveals won't line up.
    Trim has been fitted to some edges and not others, which will also cause problems when they come to fit the ones that are missing.
    Not to mention the 40mm - or so - holes cut to accommodate the shower supply pipe work, good luck fitting a shower valve to that!
    Are several different trades working on this project?

CGN likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What I usually do with niches is to finalise the exact size and placement during the tiling, although that’s an ideal scenario, as
    I only usually tile my own complete refurbs.

They’ve cut 10mm off as it’s easier to do this than cut 5mm off both tiles.

As longboat has said, there’s a discrepancy with the size of the niche and where the tiles currently finish, so unless they multi tool out the studwork, you’ll end up with a small rip of tile which isn’t ideal.

Im sure all will be ok, and when it’s all grouted, and the chrome ‘bling’ is fitted, you’ll be happy.

4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I often do joinery jobs for customers who (understandably) fixate on tiny little details whilst something's being built, because it's the sole objective of their focus, it's right in their face - and at the time, they're totally focused on that - and that alone. Their fears and worries almost always diminish as the build moves along.

I'll then go back and see the same customer a few months later (often to price another job because they're delighted at what I've delivered :)), and they've forgotten all about the tiny detail they were previously obsessing over. It's all about stepping back and looking at the big picture.

5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

It doesn't look bad in all fairness, when its finished, grouted and silicone applied i doubt you'll notice too much wrong with it

6. Shivanjali

Shivanjali New Member

Thanks all, good to get some perspective. There are two people working on the room, tiler and the other building/carpentry, plus their boss that comes in regularly. Longboat, I'm not sure what you mean about the shower valve. I'll have to look it up.