No cavity behind chimney breast

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by man2019, May 13, 2019.

1. man2019

man2019 New Member

Hi, Would be grateful if I can get some advice on the below:

We had our chimney breast removed and the builder has advised that the section of the wall where the chimney was does not have a cavity so will have to be filled with dot& dab plaster board..........looking at it myself i would agree with that there is no cavity in the area behind where the chimney was removed as either side of the chimney breast is about 2.5inches higher.

My questing is that would dot&dab plasterboards be strong enough as I am planned to hang wall mounted cabinets and TV on a bracket in the same area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Why can't area be blocked up with 75mm or 100mm blocks?

Wouldn't feel safe hanging tv & cabinets off D&D,you need long fixings into blockwork behind.

Post a photo, makes things clearer.:)

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

Dot n dab is the devil's work, especially if you want it to be "structural".

KIAB likes this.
  4. man2019

man2019 New Member

Pic attached.......im no expert but didn't think its a good idea with D&D. The difference between the brick and the old plaster is about 2.5inch

Attached Files:

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

Might be best to batten out, and top with 18mm plywood and 12.5mm plasterboard?

6. man2019

man2019 New Member

I would want it to be strong enough to hold wall mounted cabinets and TV, would batten & 18mm ply hold the weight.

7. man2019

man2019 New Member

@KIAB, I like the idea of 75mm blocks...will ask the builder about the blocks.

Would it be an option to fill/render the bricks with sand and cement to make it the same height as the original wall?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Dot and dab plasterboard to fill the void, then a coat of bonding plaster over the top and over the bricks to flush up with the existing, then a skim over the whole lot will sort it out.

9. man2019

man2019 New Member

thanks for the suggestion guys....will discuss options with my builder.

10. man2019

man2019 New Member

Sorry to keep asking but would filling with sand and cement work?

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

To save the hollowness of PB and the risk of ply expanding/contracting and causing cracks in the finished plaster layer (as it will) I would firmly fix a bit of 2x3 or 2x4 (100-120mm screws and brown plugs in to the brick) where you want to get fixings to hang the telly and block out the rest with thermalite blocks . You can slit them down with a handsaw very easily to any thickness you want. Then plaster over as normal.

(you will struggle to get a telly fixing in just thermalite as it is quite soft)

12. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Did one recently got the disc cutter cut the old bricks from the stack to req size and relaid worked a treat

13. PATRICE

PATRICE New Member

Lay brick on side 65mm wide,drill some angle brackets every 4/5 course and fill any voids with sand and cement, then plaster as normal.