No contract, just trust?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SoulConspiracy, Jul 24, 2018.

1. I'm getting some building work done and it's come in at about £2000. For us this is a lot of money but I imagine for a builder this is peanuts work, which I guess is why it was hard to find one who wanted to do it at all.

The guy we have was recommended by someone we vaguely know and he seems nice enough. Everything I've read though keeps saying get stuff in writing etc. But he said he doesn't do contracts he doesn't do paperwork. We've got him to put his quote in writing (he's hand writing it and getting someone to type it up), I feel bad for this major imposition.

Anyway, am I being paranoid about not having a contract for works this minor, or is the quote paperwork enough? He says it's about trust. We trust him to do the work and he trusts us to pay him (he's not expecting anything up front).

Is this standard? I can walk away but then we're back to square 1 with no builder and my wife will kill me.

Wayne

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

That strikes me as unprofessional.
    Does he not do guarantees? I suspect not. If not then why not?

He might prefer not to do "paperwork", but it's really part of running a business.

Being prepared to do a job for cash is one thing... only working like that is another!

Just my tuppenceworth!

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Have you seen examples of his work elsewhere? Have you spoken to some of his previous customers?
    References/recommendations are usually worth more than paperwork anyway.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I quote for work for 2k+ and all customers get is a written estimate. Just don't pay until you are happy with what's done. Talk it through with builder. Maybe send email so you have something in writing confirming work to be done

5. That's reassuring. (He doesn't do email).

There are examples of his work to look at, he's directed us to whole houses he's built (how he got through that without a contract is a mystery).

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Write a letter of letter of acceptance and post it. I always think thats nice when I get one but it rarely happens. Last one was 4 years ago

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No contract, no paper trail,cash,etc,etc...

I would never go on recommendation, especially from someone you vaguely know, a disaster in the making,could end up out of pocket big time, if things go pear shape!

Walk away fast!

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Always get it in writing. At the very least a specification of the work that's in scope, and the price - preferably a quote, if an estimation that it needs be to clear what assumptions have been made and under what conditions the cost may go up.

I'm happy to work with trades I know on a T&M basis, they tell me it'll take x days at £xx per day with materials at cost for example and I will write up exactly what I want doing. For a £2k job that means a lot to you, either you get the builder to write up what they are going to do, or you spend the time to do it yourself.

Its all about setting expectations on both sides of the relationship - what is the builder going to do and what you are expecting. Without something in writing I doubt the two will match and you'll have no recourse other than not to pay then it gets difficult.

9. Plan is to get the quote in writing, as long as this has a description of the work too, maybe this will be alright?

The job is making a new window, its so simple I could do it myself (but I'm not allowed).

I'd never pay in cash. Everyone has a bank account.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If its a new window, will need a lintel with calcs (perhaps there's a standard lintel) and Building Control sign off?

11. Yes, the building control seems to be up to us.

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have never given a contract.
    I don’t need the work as always have plenty, so last thing I want is some pushy customer being too picky about me running a day over on their job, or something similar.
    So not always a sign of someone that is unprofessional.
    There are a minority of trades folk out there that don’t have to look for work.
    The builder should be giving a written quote or estimate though.

Joe95, CGN and Jord86 like this.
  13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I would be asking the builder to ensure BC are OK with it - what happens if builder installs lintel and window, you go to BC and they say its no good? Contract with builder needs to include sign off from BC - and don't forget BC needs to visit while the lintel and supports are visible, can't be after builder has made good and finished the job.

14. facilities

facilities Guest

I would say getting a few recommendations is vital and look at his past work, no cash in hand, you need a paper trail back to him should it not work out,

He may be a genuine guy and his work may be good, at this stage you just don’t know, no payment upfront I think speaks well of him, you can check quality of work on a daily basis, any doubts stop him asap

15. Yeah, he mentioned all that about BC.

It seems that its all so run of the mill to him, it seems silly of me to get hung up on all the details.

Like Heat said there's so much work out there, why would any builder choose the headache clients.

Heat likes this.
  16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Who said? You can do whatever you want yourself, (except gas and leccy), just make sure it is to regs. My council charges £102 to sign off new windows. So, if you can save more than £102 DIYing, you're quids in.

And, for £2K I'd expect a written quote, and pay when complete. You'll still need to bay BC whether you do it or the builder does it. Only escape is a Fensa approved installer. Having seen many carp windows, I have no faith in Fensa.

KIAB and Heat like this.
  17. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Don't know what this job is but £2000 take away vat is £1600 some amount on materials it's hardly a fortune. If you were to get a builder not vat registered that's a fifth towards the bill. Add in paperwork contract etc. Do you want to pay for an office a secretary and a solicitor or just get on with the job?

seen it all before likes this.
  18. goldeneye78

goldeneye78 Member

i'm no expert and new to this forum too, but having going through a number of issues with my builder on a more upscaled work that involves PLENTY of money, the citizens advice bureau centre states once you engaged work with him, there is a contract regardless written or not. i guess having a written contract provides the extra security. they do advice to make payments by card or direct debit to the account for any accountability that may come.

all builders are nice when it comes to winning the project. i fell for the same (lol, i hope its not my builder who engaged with you) - the problem starts after.

my advise will be write scope of work, agree payment stages, get him to sign and also check if he is a member of any building federation.

19. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

Then go to the bank withdraw £1400 and throw it on the back of the fire. Due diligence is everything. Contracts building federations sign this stamp that . Means nothing. Look at and confirm previous jobs are his costings in line with other similar outfits?
    Someone I know got someone in to do an extension of the Trusted trader. Anyway the guy was young and didn't price properly. Came in at half the cost. Of course he was not gonna complete .Would you work for free? I hear all you guys saying"it was his problem" but in fact it's now your problem cos he's disappeared and changed his number.

Heat likes this.
  20. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Good advice, although the Citizens Advice saying a contract is there even when not in writing is difficult to prove in the event of a dispute.