No Earth in back box

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Barry Worswick, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Barry Worswick

Barry Worswick New Member

Hi,im in the process of replacing switch plates in the home, plastic to chrome with front plate,etc. Found that behind one,two way switch plate that there's no earth wire coming in,only three red and two black wires.How do I go about earthing the box and plate?? As far as i am aware,I need to?
    Thanks in advance,I'm only a DIY guy.

2. Magicspark

Magicspark Member

Yes you need an earth as it’s a metal accessory. The options you have are

1) keep the plastic switch

2)replace the cable for one that has a circuit protective conductor

3) pull In a separate green and yellow/earth.

Barry Worswick likes this.
  3. sparkykent

sparkykent New Member

You call an electrician

4. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Look carefully at the cables. There may be an earth wire but cut back.
    If there is one then, of course, you’ll need to test it to see if it as actually connected to earth at the other end.
    You’ll need a test meter to confirm this b

Mr A greig, KIAB and Barry Worswick like this.
  5. DaveF

DaveF Member

Yes you do need one. I am assuming the back-box is plastic and the earth was cut back or accidentally broken off, but also that there is one there, you just can't see it because it's really short. It may well be possible to repair.

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

3 reds and 2 blacks maybe earth sleeved up as red, or could be singles or any number of things, a photo would help.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

He said behind ONE there is three red and two black so it could be a case of the cpc being used as a conductor again in that particular switch. The rest would appear to have a cpc. I would be more inclined to worry about the possibility then decide on the course of action. Chances are he needs a 3-core pulling in to replace the wire sleeved up as a live when its not.