No earth?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ind spark, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

I must be losing the plot, how can this metal fitting not require an earth?

Attached Files:

The Happy Builder likes this.
  2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

All the wiring will be double insulated. If you use the supplied connector correctly, the connections are fully enclosed. Good luck if you have loop in/out. Your wiring then won’t comply. These craap lights are designed for ONE single supply cable.

3. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

Yes I did 2 today with 1 cable in put the crappy bkack sleeve over it the 3rd one I havnt done yet has 2 cables, not a clue what to do with that 1.

why not just make them class 1

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I know, manufacturers suck.

Ideally you need to JB above the fitting, or put a circular dry liner in with a lid allowing just the single cable "from" the ceiling. Absolute carp.

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The wire passes through a plastic bush that is just visible, and it has the black sleeve over it, yes it would have been easy to fit an earth tag.

6. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

I get the idea I just don't like it.

7. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Yep, these fittings are a right pain, I tend to put an earth tag on the centre nut, check continuity to the furthest parts (say it has 3 arms, to the end of the arms) and earth it. Its not always a good move to convert a DI appliance to class 1, but in the case of a basic light fitting, so long as there is continuity through the metalwork no good technical reason not to.

The only time you can't do this is if the fitting has chain or some such and then another metal part that is of course not earthed, I use a firm called Peter Willets for lighting bits.

Attached Files:

Ind spark likes this.