No heat from kitchen mixer tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Thomas101, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Thomas101

Thomas101 New Member

My kitchen mixer tap has been working fine for years, but has now stopped triggering the boiler most of the time. Bathroom taps and shower all make hot water reliably. If I run the kitchen tap and then a bathroom tap for a short while, the boiler kicks in and the kitchen seems to stay hot.

I thought it might be the diaphragm in the 3 way valve, so replaced that, but to no avail. I've also tried isolating the cold on the input to the kitchen mixer and just running the hot, but that hasn't made any noticeable difference.

There's plenty of pressure on the kitchen from both hot and cold and there's no noticeable spluttering or anything when running any of the taps. The boiler's upstairs directly next to the bathroom and the kitchen is directly underneath, so the kitchen tap is further away but not too much further.

I took a look at the pin on the 3 way valve when turning on different taps, for the bathroom taps it shoots out right away, for the kitchen, when it does generate heat it's more of a lazy meander to the switch :-/

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try, or is it time to get a professional? Thanks in advance!

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    only guessing what boiler you have, but some times there are two diaphrams and micro switches,
    1 for the pump proving, 1 for the boiler switch live

good luck
    peter

3. Thomas101

Thomas101 New Member

Thanks Peter! It's a Potterton performa 30he, I think it's only got the the one diaphragm... But I could be wrong