No hot water and I am lost, who should I call?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Petra Lockton, Dec 15, 2018.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think what you need to do is right now, get it fixed whatever way you can.

Seems from the advice on here going for a fixed price Vaillant repair is the best option.

Then undoubtedly put your home insurance provider thorough the small claims.

Turning up, causing more damage, failing to diagnose the fault and wasting your allowance on unneeded work.

Allsorts likes this.
  2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

7033829C-20DD-4388-ABE0-3D079232134D.jpeg Whoever comes to repair it get them to check for restrictions on the flow pipe between the main heat exchanger and water pressure sensor. There is a filter fitted in the flow just before the water pressure sensor.
    The old internal flow and return pipes were off poor design and the rubber becomes brittle.
    With a blockage at this location the primary circuit with begin to overheat and modulation will not go any lower. This will result in flame loss until the primary side temp drops. Flame will then come back on.

Allsorts likes this.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

That sounds highly likely. The diverter obviously isn't passing as the heating is staying cool.

4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Hi Petra.

The leak was most likely caused by the guy trying to carry out the 'repairs', but - to be fair - such things can happen and as long as it's put right at no additional cost to you then it's all part of the process (and any water damage made good).

Are they trying to suggest the leak had NOTHING to do with them? If so, that's not good form; it might be hard to 'prove' it was them wot dun it, but such spontaneous leaks - a boiler leak occurring for no obvious cause with no interference - is actually very rare. (The only ones I've seen on here have been down to components allowing water out under certain circumstances such as GlowWorm's hydrobloc or whatevs it's called, but these aren't 'leaks' as such - water doesn't continue to leak out - but more a valve part allowing a dribble or so).

Petra, what I suggest you do is to write down a detailed account of what's gone on with this whole debacle. Make it chronological, and make it as simple as possible and factual.

You may also need to have it read over by someone to make sure it makes sense because I personally have had some difficulty in fully following some of your messages on here.

I wouldn't allow the same guys back in your house; if calling out the Vaillant fixed-price guys looks as tho' they are sending out the same outfit, then you need to tell Vaillant 'no'. (Ask them when you call them up what outfit they use before they turn up!)

If it looks like the same bunch, then you really need an alternative. Look up local GasSafes and see if they are 'authorised Vaillant' and get them out instead. This will likely mean it won't be a fixed-price repair, but good chance - with all the bits that have already been replaced - it won't actually cost any more than that anyway. And the whole idea is that you will be able to reclaim it.

When a different Vaillant guy comes out, make sure you explain everything that has been tried already, and also that you wonder if it's a water pressure/tap issue.

You want this guy starting the investigation process from first principles. Clean sheet.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yes fully agree that you need to tackle this in a chronological way.

Dates, emails, parts etc.

Deal with the crisis now anyway you can. Keep receipts etc.

Then write to the CEO of your provider with all the evidence.

6. Petra Lockton

Petra Lockton New Member

Thank you guys so much for your input. I will take it all on board.

I have now arranged with Vaillant the one off repair as suggested and I am also writing my email to the insurer. (and I will read it through prior to sending it :) )

Allsorts likes this.
  7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Keep us posted, please :)

8. Petra Lockton

Petra Lockton New Member

Hi guys just a quick update. The Vaillant engineer fixed the boiler in less that an hour.

9. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Good news and the update, thanks.

10. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

What was wrong with it?

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thats great news.

Sit back and enjoy Christmas.

In the New Year write a strongly worded and evidenced letter to your insurers MD.

No satisfactory response? Small Claims court

12. Petra Lockton

Petra Lockton New Member

The Vaillant guy changed the plate 2 plate heat exchanger, mcw valve and brass connectors / canoe filter.
    He finished within an hour !!! Xmas is happening :)
    Thank you for your recommendations, I would have not done this without you, so a massive thanks !!!
    Have a great Xmas and I will keep you updated in regards to the insurer.
    I am ready for a battle and defenetaly won't let them get away with this

Allsorts and rogerk101 like this.
  13. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Good result, Petra - you got some decent bits replaced for that outlay.

It would have hurt if he'd come out, tightened a brass nut and then charged you the full amount :)