No Nonsense Floor Varnish - ARRRGH!

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Laus, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Laus

Laus New Member

Bought a can of this to varnish a new pine floor I have layed in the conservatory. Applied as instructions, left to dry overnight and applied second coat - was a little concerned as it was still tacky when 2nd coat went on but followed the guide to the letter.

It is now 14days later, AND IT IS STILL TACKY! Which means that every hair or spec or dust is gathering on it and it is still unusable.

The min temp in the room has been 15 degrees for 3 of those days but given the roof is bronzed polycarb and the room has been warmer most days and has ventilationation on 3 sides I have to ask what can I do now to dry this terrible product????

At this rate I am looking at taking the whole floor up and turning the boards over, all because of some poor quality varnish which is more hassle than its worth.

Any suggestions?

2. imran_

imran_ New Member

They missed the punctuation:

No! Nonsense Floor Varnish You do have my sympathy.

3. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

It is equally possible it was just too cold and/or humid the day you put the first coat on - remember the floor would have been colder than the air. Thanks to health and safety, the low VOC rubbish they sell now, it is easier to mess it up and end up with non-setting gloop.

4. MAERSK

MAERSK New Member

just out of interest, where did you buy the varnish from?

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

DO NOT BUY OWN LABEL ANYTHING!!!!!

It is ALWAYS rubbish - even Screwfix own labels!

6. Laus

Laus New Member

In fairness to Screwfix I can report that there has been a very satisfactory outcome on this occasion. After a phone call direct from the supplier I was informed that there could be 3 reasons for the "after-tack".
    1. Too thick a coat of varnish applied.
    2. Lack of ventilation.
    3. Reaction to the plasticiser which pine may may treated with.

After ruling out the first 2 the suppliers offered to send through a time of the same wood varnish but this time with an added percentage of hardener added.

It was received a day later and I applied it this weekend as instructed - and low and behold, I now have a very dry well varnished floor - yippee!

The replacement product smelled, felt and applied differently to the initial tin, I just kinda knew when applying it that this was a whole different ball game - much creamier and substantial.

So I have to say that from my initial anger, I have now been left thinking that the customer service you get from screwfix is exceptionally good. I have received half a dozen emails asking about progress and a unique response. Having dealt with building supplies for years, this is the first time I have ever actually been listened to and had the problem sorted.

There is still some companies in this country that give a hoot - pleasantly surprising!

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Good to hear they sorted it!

I have always found their customer service on-line to be excellent.

But the general warning about own-label products still applies.

Buyer Beware!

8. MAERSK

MAERSK New Member

Definitely right Leaky.

Own label stuff is rubbish.
    You give yourself more hassel in the long run if you use that sort of stuff!

:p:D