No power to bathroom pull switch?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by PHILPH, Mar 9, 2019.

1. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi,
    I was on here a few weeks ago when I was having bother with my circuit breaker and everyone was very helpful and wonder if I could trouble you all again!

At the time I was having the bother with the breaker I was in the process of changing my bathroom spotlights which were low voltage and now changing to LED ones.

What I done was cut the 12v transformer off and used the 240 feed from it which comes from a junction box

These are situated in one of those plastic panel ceilings with good easy access.

I wired the new spots in first and made the connection via a little block to the feed and there is no power as I put a tester on it.

The wiring (I think) is this......there is another pull switch that operates the extractor fan, there’s 2 black wires joined in a block and 2 red wires into the pull switch, and this possibly feeds the light switch or vise versa and the light switch as one cable with the red, black and earth.

I’m 100% certain I wired this back up correctly as I done some diagrams and marked the switches when I disconnected them.

Tried to get a spark out but had no replies so I thought I would have a look myself to see if I can sort it.

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Phil

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

have you power in the rest of the circuit if so find the cable that comes from the last light fitting say landing check the connections are tight then find which is the power core should be red or blue then recheck the connections are touching copper and not insulation and then check power from switch to light fitting and also check neutrals are correct and tight.

3. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Just had a chance to look at this end it did end up being a loose connection.

Could I ask another question about wiring the spotlights please.

There’s the junction box in the ceiling where I have now disconnected the feed to the 12v transformer so I’m starting from scratch so to speak.

The new lamps are 240 LED which are double earthed.

Is this right..........a new feed of 1.5 twin and earth, with the earth connected in the junction box then on to the first light.

This has only 2 connections to it therefore connect, L and N, the 2 earths together with something like a Wago and also earthing sleeve.

This sequence to continue to the last light, there’s only 5 in total, however I’m a little unsure what to do with this last single earth cable?

Do I just put some sleeving on it with a block or something similar?

Does this sound right?
    Regards
    Phil

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, put the final singl earth in an insuated bit of terminal block. First test that there is an earth all the way from the supply end.
    Double earthed? do you mean double insulated?

5. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi baz,

According to the leaflet it says Class 11 double insulated and has a symbol with 2 squares, one inside the other.

Just got them from Screwfix.

Regards
    Phil

6. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

yes that means no earth is required. But you sound a down to EARTH guy.

7. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Thank you SAR, I'll take that as a compliment!

Any ideas how I would test the earth from the supply end as Bazza suggests?

Regards
    Phil