no power to ceiling light after changing new light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DaveMac54, Oct 5, 2018.

1. DaveMac54

DaveMac54 New Member

I have just changed a ceiling light fitting and have no power to light. 2 cables from roof containing live, switched live and 2 neutral.Cannot remember how light was wired previously as it was disconnecte some time ago and I did not make a wiring diagram.
    This fitting is end of loop light but cannot remember whether light is connected to switch live or live. I see 2 live cables were twisted together but cannot remember if switch live was in same connector block as live cables.
    Any help appreciated as to whether live and switched live are twisted together and then light live will be connected to live/switched live .

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

DM, Put a picture up so the guys can help you more.

3. DaveMac54

DaveMac54 New Member

4. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

With the power switched off ,have a look at the conductors on the switch that controls your light. You will probably find a red and a black cable. The black will not be a neutral ,but is the switched live ,and is one of the two black cables at your light fitting. In order to establish which is which ,you will need a multimeter and the knowledge of how to use it safely. As you think that you have two neutrals at the light fitting I fear your knowledge of electrics is limited ,are you sure you are OK doing this ? You may be best advised to get someone competent in.regards Terry.

masterdiy likes this.
  5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

If colour coding is correct.
    Top cable should be live & neutral.
    Bottom cable is Switch feed(red) and the black marked with red tape is the switch (switched) wire.
    Check you are not clamping on insulation.
    Check the switch is working and is connected correctly (broken conductor ?)
    It' s hard to solve problems without test gear.

Rs

6. terrymac

Just seen your pic ,are the two red conductors properly making contact in the connector block ? There should not be so much of the copper visible. The red tape on the black conductor is to denote that it is live ( switched live ). The other connections would appear to be made correctly.

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

Where are the earth wires?

Kind regards

8. DaveMac54

DaveMac54 New Member

Hi Terry

I said 2 neutrals but realised what I had said after posting. The wire with red tape gave a reading of 30=35 using a multimeter and the other black gave no reading. Sorry for confusion.

9. DaveMac54

DaveMac54 New Member

There are no earth wires visible . This is wiring from a council house from the 50's or 60's it is all to pot. This has worked fine for years until now, wish I had taken a picture before taking light down to plaster ceiling.

10. terrymac

What was you " reading' Dave ? Voltage ?

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

Make sure you only fit double insulated fittings.

Kind regards

12. DaveMac54

DaveMac54 New Member

Hi

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. Evetually had to get electrician in as I could not get light to work. I have done this many times before but this time it was weeks after removing light for plasters and could not remember wiring order.Big lesson learnt always take photo before disconnecting wiring.

13. Pinkyverma

Pinkyverma New Member

You can call local electrician or the company support center from where you purchased fan.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member