No water coming through filling loop of boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dotti, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Dotti

Dotti New Member

Hi, I have a barely used Vaillant Ecotec 831.
    The pressure has dropped a bit so I went to refill it. I last did this several months ago.
    However, there were no water sounds when I turned the valve on. I unscrewed the filling loop and tried again, expecting to see water gush all over the floor. Nothing.

My mains water is fine and I can't find any obvious leaks, so is it the valve itself somehow not working?
    If so, is there anything I can do please?
    (Normal plumber I use not answering his phone.)
    Thanks.

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

The loop probably has an integrated check valve that’s stuck. Could you upload a pic please?

Dotti likes this.
  3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Could well be a stuck valve, it has been known to happen.

Dotti likes this.
  4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If it’s the built in loop it is 2 valves.

Dotti likes this.
  5. Dotti

Dotti New Member

A-ha. I unscrewed the plastic turner thing which opens the valves, pulled it off and a tiny bit of plastic dropped out. A good/bad sign, I thought.
    I tried with a screwdriver and the other turning thing (what are they called?) and heard the sweet sound of gushing water.

So relieved I need a drink. It's been a stressful few hours. Thanks, all.

6. Dotti

Dotti New Member

Btw, the part numbers inside led me to a single Amazon listing, and they're called 'service valve handles'.

I dodged the 'Zon and found them (a pair) at City Plumbing for £6.47 delivered.

7. Dotti

Dotti New Member

Interestingly, the replacement handles are metal, not plastic. Must have been a problem that I'm not the first to have. The metal handles give a much more positive turn. All sorted now.

My next task is finding the tiny leaks which are causing the pressure to drop over time.