No water from kitchen tap until cloakroom tap turned on

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by etatham, Sep 21, 2021.

1. etatham

etatham New Member

I have a strange problem with my kitchen mixer tap. I have a gravity-fed system with tank in the loft and indirect cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. There is a whole-house pump on the floor of the airing cupboard. Upstairs the hot water to bath, basins and shower work fine. Downstairs there are two mixer taps; one in a cloakroom and the other in the kitchen. The hot supply to the cloakroom is also working okay. However, when turning on the hot tap in the kitchen, there is either a long delay (>30 secs) before any water comes out or else the hot doesn’t work at all. That is, unless the cloakroom hot is briefly turned on first, in which case the kitchen flow starts immediately. I assume this is sufficient to get the pump working.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this problem and how to cure?
    Thanks!

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

There needs to be a certain amount of flow through a tap before the pump detects it and turns on. Check the pipework under the sink to see if there are any kinks in the feed to the hot tap that might be restricting flow.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

And is it the same if you briefly turn on one of the upstairs taps. If so I would think there is an air lock somewhere on the kitchen supply and it needs the force of the pump actually running to clear it. Has this been a forever situation or a recent phenomenon.

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Other possibility is that the "perlator" inside the mixer spout is partially blocked which casues a resricted flow, until the pump kicks in. Check that too.

5. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Also when you have got it running and turn it off, assuming nothing else uses the water supply for the next 10 mins say (wc/taps/shower etc) , does it work if turned back on