Noggin replacement…

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Not Too Sure, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Active Member

Hi, I want to replace a problematic noggin under my bathroom floor, which supports the chipboard flooring.

One end of the noggin is out in the open, so easy to attach to the joist (right hand side of noggin in 1st pic), however the other end is beneath my stud wall (see 2nd pic), so I cannot access it from the top.

Any ideas on how best to attach so that it can easily take the weight needed ?

Tried to add a right angled bracket to the side of the noggin but the screw won’t go all the way into the joist, so was thinking of drilling a deeper pilot hole and trying again.

Ideally I would like to use a the z-clip as per what they have put in originally, but chipboard is flush to joist on that side so wouldn’t be able to get it in…

2A4D0FCB-663D-4234-B4AC-442B989652BD.jpeg

91C5DA5C-50DF-42F4-8B63-176A3CA2AA17.jpeg

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

How is it problematic?
    What tool are you using to screw the angle bracket in? What type of screw?
    Can you remove the existing noggin? If so, you could pilot a couple of 5mm holes at approx 22.5 degrees, then scew-screw a couple of 5x120 screws into the top flange of the joist. Bit of a sod to reach, but easier than removing the stud wall

Not Too Sure likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As per the other thread, leave it in and screw it through the sides into the joists, etc etc.

Not Too Sure likes this.
  4. Not Too Sure

I tried screwing the existing ones through the side and it had no impact, I found that the noggin was actually distorted which is why it was creaking. I removed that one in the pic and cut another one to size.

Now I need to put that replacement in, but thinking that 2 (floor-tite) screws through the side of it won’t be enough to hold the weight would it ? Hence I thought I might need a bracket?

5. Not Too Sure

Not sure why but I drilled a pilot hole, then the screw wouldn’t go any further than 3/4 in - it was rock solid. I suspect I probably haven’t gone in deep enough with the pilot hole?

6. Not Too Sure

I thought maybe something like this could do the trick?

21270271-669A-4C64-B95F-C5C577DBA987.jpeg

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You are adding to your workload needlessly, just skew screw the new noggin to the joists, fit additional noggins around the perimeter of the chipboard cut out, and use d4 PU glue and screws to fix a new piece of flooring back down.

Rosso and Not Too Sure like this.
  8. Not Too Sure

thanks, should I use 5x120mm screws or will floor-tite 55mm ones be ok?

9. Not Too Sure

As an update I ended up taking the whole floor up and put noggins in place. I had to cut the T&G. Everything is absolutely rock solid now and no more squeaking !

Just used screws to put the noggins in so all good :)

one thing I have realised is my cordless screwdriver (macallister) is pants - need to get an impact driver really…

thanks to you all for your help :)

chillimonster and Rosso like this.
  10. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

Good work. Get yourself a decent drill and impact drive. There's some good deals about at the moment DeWalt DCK2060L2T-SFGB 18V 2 x 3.0Ah Li-Ion XR Brushless Cordless Twin Pack
    Is a good example, but I would urge you to shop around. In FOLKESTONE there is a FIXINGS company who are very competetive and offer a very good range from many manufacturers at very good prices. I just wish I could remember the name of the company to tell you

Not Too Sure likes this.
  11. Not Too Sure

HaHa! Thank you :)

12. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

as I read through the difficulties I wondered if an impact driver was available here.
    (written for future readers )

Not Too Sure likes this.