Noggings or no noggins

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Gary Fletcher, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Gary Fletcher

Gary Fletcher New Member

Not sure if I should waste my time putting them in as think the composite decking will tie it together .

recommendations ?

Composite deck running left to right and centres of joists are 350mm

cheers

Attached Files:

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Floorboards tie joists together but TRADA tables still advise noggins if span is greater than 2.5m but its only decking so not the end of the world if joists twist slightly

3. Gary Fletcher

Gary Fletcher New Member

Cheers for reply mate , biggest gap is 2.1m pal what you think would you do it

it’s the AJs to your advise I’ve built that too on precious threads mate

thanks again

4. Roys

Roys Active Member

If you have the timber put the noggins in as it’s not much effort.

5. Severntrent

Good to see it finally evolve from your initial ideas.Personally I wouldn't bother with noggins but it gives you some comfort by all means bang them in. Remember, no more than 56 people on it at a time.

6. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member

I ended up putting extra noggins in mine and I think it helped the final rigidity, so if you can, it cant hurt the final result. mine feels super solid. Better overbuilt than underbuilt!

7. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Member

Good to see it coming to fruition too - itll be nice to see the final result!

8. Severntrent

strength wise it could take nearly more than thrice the standard loading for domestic floors and deflection wise its a 1/3 of what's allowable so its well overbuilt

9. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Looking good. Wish my current job was rectangular. It's a crazy shape with angles going off all over the place, and on a slope, and with a pile of board scribing to do around a rockery. :( Building the frame has been like cutting a pitched roof. Customer's thrilled so far though.

This one’s built like a battleship anchor because it’s got a one-and-a-quarter-ton hot tub going onto it. The central spine directly under the tub location is twinned and supported by four 4 x 4 posts dug way down with three bags of Postcrete in each hole. It's not going anywhere.

C667DDCE-A186-4880-B791-A8380F108C1C.jpeg F4ECA201-835B-448C-93C9-1E6C680D1457.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021