noggins for plasterboards???

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by builderboy, Nov 13, 2005.

1. builderboy

builderboy New Member

I have ripped an old cieling down which i am due to replace with new 12.5mm plasterboard, the joists are 400mm centre, do i require noggins along the length of the board to support the 'bounce', or am i safe with the thickness of board on the joists????? Thanks

2. wood4fun

wood4fun New Member

noggins are to stop floor joists twisting and i set them out to match up with plaster board size to carry the joints.

3. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Yes matey definitely needed to support the staggered ends of plasterboard sheets, otherwise you'd have nothing there to fix 'em to.

Small point, it's usual, although not essential, to use 9.5mm plasterboard for ceilings, they weigh less and therefore easier to put up.

Good Luck

4. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

deadon has a point. Are you doing this for fire resistance reasons?

5. builderboy

builderboy New Member

hey guys, main reason is for fire regs. I mean do i need them along the 2.4m length of the board, not the 1.2m length as this is obviously half on the joist. The boards will be staggered, but do i need them around the whole outside of the board.... if you know what i mean!!!
    I appreciate the help.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well, firstly, you MUST have 12.5mm board.

Secondly, you don't need noggins unless the whole width or length of board will not get attached to joists.

The 6 or 7 joists that the board is nailed/screwed to along the length is normal.

Although, I must say, I thought it more normal to have the long side along the centre of a joist, rather than the short side.

Mr. Handyandy - really

7. builderboy

builderboy New Member

The brilliant mate, so i done need to put them in, i suppose it makes sense to run the boards the other way. Do you always have to use 12.5mm on ceilings??

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The brilliant mate, so i done need to put them in, i
    suppose it makes sense to run the boards the other
    way. Do you always have to use 12.5mm on ceilings??

No, but you do in kitchens and bathrooms and I think the regs state that.

Makes sense really, considering steam, alternating temperatures etc to stop sag, and the extra fire risk in the kitchen for example.

Mr. Handyandy - really

9. Chippy John

Chippy John New Member

Perimeter noggins for fixing p/b are often a requirement, 2" X 2" is sufficient.

Just to clear up the positioning of boards, the short side runs parallel to the joists.

AppleCrumble87 likes this.