Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bennysouth, May 16, 2009.

  1. Bennysouth

    Bennysouth New Member

    Hi all, am planning to somehow "insulate" a party wall between a pair of semi's to assist with noise reduction. The wall in question is a bedroom wall and the neighbours can be heard quiet clearly. I know there is a noise reducing plasterboard which i can use.

    Are there any other ways of helping with this problem?

    The wall is 12 feet wide


  2. hallbeck

    hallbeck New Member

    Build a timber stud wall that is freestanding - ie, its attached at the top and bottom only. Insulate between the studs with rockwool and double board with soundcheck plasterboard - stagger the joints. Try and avoid electric
    points in this wall - they allow sound through.

    Check in your loft to ensure that the party wall goes up to the roof.

    Or look at proprietory systems
  3. Bennysouth

    Bennysouth New Member

    Thanks Hallbeck, staggering the joints makes a lot of sense as with the freestanding.

  4. Mr GrimNasty

    Mr GrimNasty Active Member

    Don't neglect to take the sound-proofing down below floor level.

Share This Page