Noisy central heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cavcaptor, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Cavcaptor

Cavcaptor New Member

Hi all,

Hoping you guys can impart some wisdom!

My wife and I moved into our new home in April 2021. We got the boiler health checked by British Gas Homecare before we moved in. It's a Worcester combi boiler, put in in 2018. Home is in Scotland, smallish three bed terrace, soft water area.

We bled the radiators in May and repressurised the system accordingly. Since then, we get tapping, creaking and thumping in the ceiling of the living room when the central heating is on. This video shows it at ~36s in.

BG engineer came out and found the expansion vessel needed recharging so did that. Told us this noise might just be the pipes expanding and not to worry as our sink and bath upstairs are very noisy when draining hot water. He also switched our boiler to eco. Thumping noise continued. Second engineer came out and tried to rebalance radiators using the lockshields. Explained the logic of the system to me, and said that they may still need some tinkering. This was last week. He also said the noise was heating pipes expanding.

Cut to today, and I put the heating on 90 mins ago. House is up to temp but the noise has persisted the entire time and is still going. The sound isn't always in the same place, which makes me think it's not a leak (wishful thinking?) and I've no signs of water damage in the ceiling.

This is our first home with central heating as adults so I have a few questions:

1. My wife mentioned something about a powerflush as she thinks there's air trapped deep in the system. When we bleed radiators now we just get clean water coming out. Is a powerflush appropriate?

2. There seems to be some concentrated noise from the TSV on the radiator upstairs where the lockshield is fully open. Could this be a problem?

3. Is it reasonable for the heating to be expanding and making noise the entire time it's on, and then would the contracting make noise too?

4. Is there something going on I've totally missed?

Thanks in advance!

2. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

I get noises from below the floor upstairs too,it could be the pipes are too tight in the floor joists,or not clipped properly.Ideally I’m told the pipes under floorboards should be wrapped in felt where they are notched into or through joists.I find they noises go on every few minutes for a long time even after the heating is off!

Tricky Dicky likes this.