Non corgis playing with gas(death)

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by KING_DIY'ER, Jan 16, 2004.

1. KING_DIY'ER

KING_DIY'ER New Member

It is frightening to see that there are some people who are happy to tackle gas.

I will tackle most things as a DIYer, but GAS, never ever.

In Aug 01, I asked a plumber (said he was CORGI registered), to remove two gas heaters and block them off. What do you think he used to check for leaks?

A MATCH!!!

2. bilco

bilco New Member

What...just the ONE!

3. bilco

bilco New Member

I remember the days when nat gas replaced town gas. An apprentice at the time, I went with a plumb to commission a boiler on a new housing site. The lady was non too keen on gas so the plumb assured her how very safe it was...He got the pilot light going and wound up the stat and waited for the sound of the burner kicking in...n waited...n waited...nothing...so he opened the front panel n got down there to av a butchers and boom all 18 stone of him enveloped in flame...he sported one of those really fancy moustaches too...

4. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

A sky diver was falling too fast after his first chute failed to open. He opened his emergency chute and it was knotted. Screaming towards the ground he noticed a man coming up towards him.

He shouted " do you know anything about parachutes !?"

The man shouted back "do you know anything about gas ovens...."

makes a point :)

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

have you seen that assie, steve irwin, he handles poisonous snakes and crocs, and he says "don't try this at home" thats cos he's one with the animals, he/s never been biten cos he knows wot he's doing, bit like that corgi bloke with the match.he knows when to use a match ,showing off really, but its safe to do in the right enviroment, but don't try it at home.

6. kesh

kesh New Member

Interstesting point is that CORGI registration as a requirement for gas fitting only came in in the early '90s - I wonder if the incidence of gas related damage or injury has increased/decreased or remained about the same? - Anybody got any facts?

7. bilco

bilco New Member

Almost certainly gone up! think how well you drove before you got your licence :)

8. kesh

kesh New Member

That's not a fact!- Try harder 2/10!

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

If you look in B&Q they have a gas fire fitting kit. It has a small panel on it that tells you to use a CORGI approved fitter.

Now, I'm inteligent enough to know that the fitter will use his own stock and never a bag of bits from B&Q.I feel B&Q are asking for non CORGI people to fit the fire.

I do everything in my house exept - plastering (as I just can't get it good enough) and gas related stuff (as I may kill someone and end up in jail) but I do the radiators-only full of water ;)

10. The Trician

The Trician New Member

CORGI? Since when did they permit dogs to play around with gas? Do the Queen's CORGI's do Buck house then? :):)

11. bilco

bilco New Member

When indoores it's not too creditable to blame the horses, now is it?

12. gas pipe sizing

gas pipe sizing New Member

How much gas fitting is actually done by non corgi registered apprentices?

13. Jack

Jack New Member

I have always done my own gas fitting.

My neighbour asked me to fit their central heating system last year - bit I told them I couldn't because I am not CORGI registered.
    They then phoned a CORGI plumber to fit a complete CH system, and gas cooker.
    A guy turned up with CORGI stickers over his van, with a young assistant and fitted the system over the course of a week during the evenings.
    The work was completed, and they paid him.
    He said they were lucky that 'he' did the job, because if his boss had done it, then they would have been charged almost double - because his boss has a CORGI certificate ! ?(

14. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Am I not right in thinking that only the COMPANY needs to be Corgi registered, not necessarily (or however you spell it!) the individual? Isn't that what Acops is all about, ensuring that it is the actual person who is qualified?

Woody

15. jmcbuilders

jmcbuilders New Member

yes the company is reg. If the eng is working for the company he can only do gas work and charge if it is his company and he has the qualifications. My company is corgi reg but i am not a gas man I employ them. They cant do gas work without me. If they do they are breaking the law but they can work un payed because they are qualified. I hope this makes sense. JMc

16. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson New Member

The company is registered but the individual employees must be registered with operatives with the company and may only carry out gas work that they are qualified for.

An operative working for registered company will have a CORGI ID card. On the back of the card is a list of the categories that they are demed competent in.

Any registered operative should be willing to show their ID card.

For more info go to http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/default.asp

Mike

17. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Ok, so what is Acops and where does that come in?

Woody

18. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson New Member

ACOP stands for Approved Code Of Practice. You used to take a test to prove that you complied with the ACOP for each category of work that you undertook.

This had now changed and we now have to take an ACS Assesment. ACS stands for Approved Creditation Scheme.

The ACS assesments are more stringent than the ACOP ones (some installers believe too stringent) and are designd to assess the competency of installers more accurately.

This could all change by the next time I have to carry out my re-assesments. At present we have to undertake a seperate assesment for each category of work. This leads to a lot of duplication and there is talk of combining the courses to cut out a lot of this duplication. We will still need to be assesed on each individual category if work but certain things will not be repeated (Possibly tightness testing, I'm covered for 6 categories of work plus basic pipework so I was tested on tightness testing with natural gas a minimun of 7 times, I am also covered for LPG but that is covered by a changeover course so despite being also covered for the 6 categories I was only tested on tightness testing on LPG once)

Mike

19. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

think I'll stick to chippying! The only real regulation I have to worry about is where to ruddy park!

Thank you all from a very confused Woody

20. ollski

ollski New Member

It runs like that now Mike...all your basic letby, tightness and gas rates are done on the ccn1 and for the options if you have covered it in ccn1 you just have to write down you would carry out those tasks.