Non-Itch Loft Insulation

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by OilyRag, Nov 20, 2009.

1. OilyRag

OilyRag New Member

I want to insulate my shed and spotted the Non-Itch Loft Insulation which is made from recycled plastic bottles. I only need a thickness of 40 to 50 mm to fit between the shed battens. Does anybody know if the 150mm thick material can be separated into 3 layers approximately 50mm thick? Alternatively any suggestions for any other materials would be appreciated.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Celotex or Kingspan.

3. vote CONSERVATIVE

vote CONSERVATIVE New Member

It will easily compress down to 50mm. Likely to get damp though.

4. imran_

imran_ New Member

Compressing imsulation usually makes it non insulating ;)

5. vote CONSERVATIVE

No, it reduces the insulation properties, it does not stopped them. Compressing to 50mm will have similar R values compared to 50mm thick material (if it was made in that thickness).

6. imran_

imran_ New Member

Sorry, meant less insulating. Loft insulation is less dense (and less expensive) as it traps air for its insulation properties. Solid 50mm insulation would be more dense and have better R valves.

What's the point of buying the wrong product in the first place??

7. vote CONSERVATIVE

No problem Imran. You are correct in so much that the air gaps create the insulation properties. The trouble is you cannot buy 50mm thick rock wool (to the best of my belief)

8. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

You can certainly buy 50mm thick rocksilk. Its wicked and great for going between joists.

B and Q and builders merchants do it

9. vote CONSERVATIVE

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

10. OilyRag

OilyRag New Member

Thanks for all the input folks. The reason for buying the wrong thing in the first place was that I liked the concept of using recycled material, also it looked like a cheap way out. However, I will investigate all suggestions Celotex, Kingspan, & Rock wool/silk.
    In the end it all comes down to price.

11. vote CONSERVATIVE

OR, I would use what you have already got. It will be fine. It will also be better and simpler than cutting Kingspan, as you will always get some air gaps at the cut edges which will reduce the thermal efficiency. Rock Wool etc will easily fill all areas without leaving gaps at the edges.