Non paying customer

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by m x, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

If you disagree, please be specific. There aren't reasons that permit you to harass people as such. It comes down to if your conduct was reasonable in the circumstances or not. A judge would not consider some of the suggestion in this thread reasonable.

2. londonplumber

londonplumber New Member

Besides plumbing; my company also buys unpaid invoices (invoice fracturing / debt collection) we pay you out in advance and then recover from the non-paying client. We will offer on any unpaid invoices up to 3 years old regardless of the "clients" status: "moved to Australia" "went bankrupt" "disputing invoice". We can also make you an offer on just one or all of your outstanding accounts as one lot.
    Email me: *

[Edited by: admin]

3. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

londonplumber - what's your 'cut'? Or, how do you make money on taking on others' unpaid invoices?

Mr Grim: Specifically, I said: "If you'd rather try sorting it out yourself first, some people react quite 'well' to embarrassment - go round to their house VERY regularly whenever you are near and knock loudly on their door, holding an obvious invoice in your hand. Best results are achieved when they are out - so a neighb asks what you want..."

You replied: "Sadly DA, sorry MacBethany, 'embarrassing' people results in a visit from the police and a charge of harassment these days. "

By 'embarrassing' the customer, I mean simply confronting them with their unpaid bill on a regular basis - it'd take a brass neck to keep fobbing the OP off. You are doing nothing wrong, just calling for your owed - and promised - sum when passing. Doing what I said in my post does not constitute harassment, and any cop called out would more likely consider the OP as wasting police time. Granted it's a fine line, and if the OP starts ranting and raving then do not reply in kind - it's time to walk away and set legal proceedings in process.

I do not advocate placard waving, making loud announcements on the doorstep...

4. Mr GrimNasty

If they tell you not to come to their door and 'embarass' them any more and report you to the Police for harassment - you risk arrest if you go around again. The customer only has to make the accusation to put YOU in the sh**. You must use due legal process and be seen to have been reasonable - not employ methods that could be presented as intimidation or harassment which is clearly what you ARE suggesting. Repeated visits are not reasonable once it is clear they do not intend to pay. I don't for one moment think this is morally correct, but that is the way that these wishy washy laws (human rights etc.) are 'abused' by those with no integrity.

5. Macbeth

Macbeth New Member

m x, what's happening?

6. Mr GrimNasty

The concrete boots are fitted & just setting nicely.

7. zulu03

zulu03 New Member

Sure, some common-sense needs to be applied as to how you go about chasing up the money owed - placards may be a tad over the top, but a weekly visit - or better yet a letter - would be fine. If you can show you actions are reasonable then you won't have a problem. This behaviour is not what the Harassment Act was written for and recently the courts have made it clear that they do not want to see harassment charges brought in situations like this. If you are unreasonable in the methods you use to chase debts, there are more appropriate offences available to prosecute you with.
    Trust me, I'm a copper.

8. Mr GrimNasty

Then you'll also know that you are duty bound to investigate the complaint and that in the real world you will advise the OP not to approach the complainant again.
    You will also know that most coppers make up the law on the hoof to make their own lives as easy as possible. You will also know that harassment is also covered under civil legislation and the complainant can easily and cheaply serve an injunction to prevent further contact with very little evidence. You should also know that repeated visits when it is obvious the bill is not going to be paid could lead to a breach of the peace etc. etc. etc. Repeated visits are a stupid strategy when the small claims court is so easy.

9. m x

m x New Member

Hi, the 'cough' lady in question has emailed me telling me that she will bring round half the amount in cash and the rest in a cheque on the 30th of this month.

I shall wait with baited breath because if she doesn't she will recieved a final demand for payment, giving her 7 days to pay in full or I'm taking this through the smalll claims court.

One problem I have had in all this is that she is female. I am very reasonable man but as I always say if someone is being irrational, all civilised means of communication are defunct and quite pointless. If the non payer was a male, I would have had no qualms about going round to put a little pressure on the situation.

10. Mr GrimNasty

Sounds half hopeful! You're right to be more circumspect with a woman - despite demanding equality etc. they still fall back on their perceived vulnerability in these circumstances.