Non renewable parts, seem to read going to be a ban, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MGW, Jun 11, 2021.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have never in my life time been able to renew the filament in a bulb, (short for bulbous fitting nothing to do with gardening.) to day I still use bulbs or other shape units which have every thing required to produce light from a 230 volt AC at 50 Hz supply all built in with no real way to renew any part. Last bulb I bought had a zigbee controller built in, so quite a lot in side the bulb.

In the home be it GX53, GU10, BA22d, E27, G9, or E14 in the main everything is built in, and in some cases I need a screwdriver (a tool) to gain access to renew the bulb, and in once case there is no plug in type of connection I have to remove the wires with a screw driver and the screws holding it to the wall.

I did years ago have fluorescent fittings and still have one metal halide lamp where the control gear is independent from the bulb or tube, but in the main all the components have to be renewed together, I can't renew an LED, rectifier, capacitor, resistor or any other component inside the fitting, it is renewed as a whole, be it connected or held in place by a screw or bayonet, or block connector, the whole unit is renewed.

The GX53 lamp holder upload_2021-6-11_8-49-4.png does allow small wall lamps to be used with a bayonet fitting, I am sure larger versions can be made, but if using a tool is not permitted then the standard bulkhead lamps where you need a screwdriver to remove the glass would fall foul of regulations.

And if you need to be able to renew parts, then kiss good by to the smart bulb.

2. IW guy

IW guy New Member

I have replaced components (usually capacitors) in a CFL lamp I opened up to do a post mortem after it failed early. But with the price of them being under £1 it is not viable apart from an interesting exercise.

MGW likes this.
  3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I agree with @IW guy up to £5 not interested, even at £10 unlikely I would want to repair, at £20 maybe. I think the laws are to be aimed at things like this lamp which is all integral upload_2021-6-11_10-27-38.png and costs a lot more at nearly £40 but in real terms there is less that could be renewed in that lamp to a smart bulb with zigbee, and how could a law be worded to include the lamp shown but not a zigbee bulb?

4. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I've got some small halogen under-cabinet lights with 5w bulbs. To replace them with LED would mean throwing away a perfectly good transformer and buying another one to save a few pence in electricity costs.
    It's a bit like modern cars, in order to bring emissions down and make them 'green' they're loaded with expensive and unreliable emissions equipment.
    It's pointless saving a few grams of emissions when expensive repairs and wasteful parts replacements are more regularly needed.

MGW likes this.
  5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I will replace outside lights once other work is completed, but the quartz halogen lamps are used maybe twice a month, there is as @AnotherTopJob says, no point renewing at this time. As to using less gas and oil fired central heating, I remember the smog from coal and wood fires, we don't want to go back to those days, I have an open fire in the house, to date never lit a fire in it, boards in front of it where the exhaust from AC unit goes up the flue. But is oil fired central heating stopped then back to wood fires it will be.

6. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Big topic electronic waste, generated by non repairable sealed devices. An artist has created a work of art similar to the carvings of US presidents on Mount Rushmore but having face of the G7 leaders using electronic waste to draw attention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-57406136

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

In his lifetime, it has been estimated Sir David Attenborough has travelled 1.9 million miles – the equivalent of flying around the world 763 times – and has made almost 400 trips to 94 different countries. Yet he tells people how they need to act to save the planet. I am sure he is not wrong to travel, I love watching him, but if we look at how much our life has cost the planet he must be some where near the top.

Yes I recycle, I reuse plastic pop bottles for my home brew. Better than putting in the re-cycle bin. But how do you recycle a lamp?

Years ago I bought a second hand bike, striped it, sand blasted it, rebuilt it, and it really looked good when I gave it to my daughter, but the paint was easy scratched, and the gears were hard to use, and the cost was near what a new bike would have cost, maybe not the same high quality frame, but indexed gears would have been a boost for my daughter.

But I did open a bulb, and I did repair it, so yes clearly we can repair items, but I only opened it to see what was inside, I don't normally repair bulbs, well maybe should not call it a bulb, its shape does not matter, neither does how it connects to the supply, so question is if this upload_2021-6-11_13-3-59.png has different rules to this upload_2021-6-11_13-4-47.png both have around the same amount of material used to make them, both designed to be dumped once they fail, if the bulkhead lamp should be able to be repaired by replacing just some of the parts, why not the bulb?

I had a lovely fridge from Woolworths, it had both 12 volt and 230 volt leads, so I could pack with food for picnic, cool down on mains, then when ready to leave swap to 12 volt in the car, but EU rules came out to say single fuel fridges and be it 12 or 230 volt it is still the same fuel electric, had to be a minimum economy figure which no Absorption or Peltier fridge can work direct off 230 volt, the 230 to 12 volt power pack now has to be independent to the fridge, unless also works on gas, so that little unit no longer made.

I am sure the rule did not intend to include the duel voltage fridge, but the little duel voltage fridge fell fowl of the rules.

We have rules on vacuum cleaner motor sizes, but the Flymo one my wife bought is a sucker/blower at 3kW, OK no such thing as a vacuum cleaner, it is technically an air volatility cleaner, but really call it a sucker not a vacuum cleaner and it gets around motor size rules?

8. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Although mobile phone manufacturers claim their sealed designs are to make them slimmer and more powerful etc, I'm not convinced.

As well as a replaceable battery, the older Samsung S series had the screws on the back of the casing for easy and quick replacement of modular parts like the USB port etc.
    On later models all the screws were behind the screen. No reason to do that, apart from deter people from repairing the phone and buying a new model.

9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

MGW, Hence the constant mantra from the politicians and people in power , “do as I say and not as I do” . The so called environmental gurus are often the worst, like the mayor of london who travels everywhere in a fleet of range rover (for security of course) but jumps on the tube or bus whenever there is a photo opportunity. :D

anotherTopJob, I now buy iPhones simply because my local repair person can replace the screen in 15mins, £60 for non apple or £75 for an Apple spare. Not sure about the newer model but many are easy to get into via two star screws at the bottom. iPads are far more tricky with stuck on screen, the only method of access to the electronics.

MGW likes this.