North Pole

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by limestone cowboy, Feb 1, 2004.

1. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

Does anyone know what time it is at the North Pole?

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Night time

3. kesh

kesh New Member

Hoping to catch santa awake are we?

4. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Have you 'blown' a seal? Or are they icicles hanging off your lips!!!

LOL:)

5. magsevern

magsevern New Member

The Greenwich Meridian runs north to south on any globe and is used as the international dateline. The time would therefore be the same as Greenwich

6. bilco

bilco New Member

I thought all meridians ran north to south...so it's the same time there as in ...new york...moscow......

7. kesh

kesh New Member

Same as south pole. Come to think of it, same time as anywhere in the world! - I never realised till now! :)

8. kesh

kesh New Member

Sorry bilco, took me 4 mins to work it out! lol!

9. Dewy

Dewy New Member

This could get complicated depending on which north pole you were in.
    The Earth spins about the True North while the Magnetic North is some distance away.
    The time at one is going to be different from the time at the other.
    Time is relative anyway as we measure time by a clock & not the location. Therfore, the time at the north pole would be measured by the time at your starting point getting there.
    At least thats what my Micky Mouse watch shows.

10. kesh

kesh New Member

This is surreal - the time at the north pole (not magnetic) is the same time as everywhere else. Therefore, if you step backwards, do you go back in time along the meridian you are facing?

11. screwandfix

screwandfix New Member

Sorry Dewy to put a bit of a downer on ya.
    but i measure time by location and alter my clock to suite where i am.
    when i get in a plane in London and they tell me its midday i arrive in newyork and my watch says 5pm but the captain tells me local time,(local meaning area im at), is only 3pm.
    you go figure.
    and who made up time anyway, its just a way for taxi drivers to amke money by charging per hour

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Time used to be measured by the sun at noon. This was no problem when transport was slow but once railways started they found different times in different towns so some stations had 2 clocks. One showing local time & the other showing 'railway time'. On the Great Western Railway it was discovered that Bristol was 11 minutes behind London. Eventually it was railway time (GMT) that was used everywhere in the country.

That sundial watch on my wrist never tells the right time. Everytime I move it is a different time. I can't see the time at all at night. Better take it back for a refund.

13. screwandfix

screwandfix New Member

the easiest way to tell the time is to put a pendulum swinging and arrange in a circle every 30 degrees a peg, these then represent the hours, as the earth moves around and around the pendulum will knock over a peg signaling and hour,
    ahh i hear you say how do you know where 30 degrees is,
    well thats easy its two times 15 degrees.
    ah i hear you say where do you get a pendulum and sticks in the middle of nowhere.
    well thats forward planing init

14. Brian:-)

Brian:-) New Member

If you are standing at the North pole the time must depend on which way you are facing. But as every direction you face is South that kind of spoils this theory!

15. Stoday

Stoday New Member

The answer's midday. Even in the middle of the night!

That's using apparent (sundial) time, which can differ from clock time by up to 16 minutes.

Reasoning is that midday occurs when the sun is highest. It's always at its highest at the north pole, hence it's always midday.

16. billythekid

billythekid Member