NOT applying a mist coat on fresh plaster?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Clarkie, May 5, 2018.

1. Clarkie

Clarkie New Member

Hi lads,

Need a little guidance if possible. I’ve been told that if using Armstead Matt I don’t need a mist coat as I can paint straight onto freshly skimmed walls. Is this accurate or bullocks?

Many thanks for your help

CL

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

BS:D

You always need a mist coat, which is matt emulsion diluted with water,& the amount of water depends on the paint use, some is runny, other thicker,& DO NOT use vinyl matt, totally different beast.

Sometimes first mist coat will show up a few imperfections, rub down/fill, then another mist coat before final finish.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    DIY womble and Astramax like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Ditto>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Double Bullocks! :mad:

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  4. Clarkie

Clarkie New Member

Many thanks lads, thought so, dodged a bullet there and a lot of pain. I have always applied a watered down coat of emulsion thought this was some new magic paint technology.

Cheers

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And never add PVA to any paint,it doesn't need it & causes so much grief.:D

Clarkie likes this.
  6. Clarkie

Clarkie New Member

Thanks mate, you seem knowledgable can I ask a few follow up questions?

Can you recommend a quality brush for emulsion
    And one for glossing skirtings architrave and door
    And what size rollers do you use for walls I was going to use 18” but maybe that’s to big as the scuttles are like £40!

Cheers pal

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Astra is the pro when it comes to painting.:)

Use a good quailty synthetic paint brush for the emulsion, I use Purdy, & Hamilton Perfection brushes,not cheap,but looked after, they will last a long time, Astra will know more about suitable brushes.

I use water based satin finish for the woodwork, find gloss too shiney,I presume your paint is also water based, so a good synthetic brush.

Got flush doors here, so been using roller sleeves below, (4" & 9" available) give superb finish, that it seldom needed brushing out, also used the roller with emulsion for the smaller areas of walls.

I usually stick to a 12" roller for walls, only time 18" comes out is ceilings, as to paint kettle, Wooster 18" is around £25, search might find cheaper.

https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/JT052805

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wooster-wide-boy-bucket-18-23ltr/4780x

Clarkie likes this.
  8. Clarkie

Clarkie New Member

Thanks mate, yeah was looking at the Hamilton perfection in synthetic and natural for the gloss it’s oil based. Ok I’ll stick with 12 or 15” for walls and ceiling can’t afford both.

Last question I promise ;) what type of roller sleeve would you recommend for the emulsion?

Oh and it’s 6 panel moulded doors pain in the ar$e

Cheers and thanks very much for taking the time to reply much appreciated

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Clarkie likes this.