Not damp but salts n efforesence

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ant62, May 15, 2019.

1. Ant62

Ant62 Member

What i always thought was damp in avery small area of out lounge turn out to be salts or efforesence coming up and rotting the wallpaper making it look like damp...
    Anyway 2 mths ago the small area was hacked out and replastered....

I bought some salt away for the area as treated as instructed.....
    I let the area throughly dry and now lined over it..

What i would like to know from papering the area again how long before the salts or efforesence take to come through if its not worked......

Ta

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If it hasn't worked I reckon 2-3 weeks max. before crystals start appearing

Welcome to my world. I have a small issue on the front faces and inside faces of an opened up chimney breast that has had 110 years of continuous coal fires in it. I D&D fireproof board on and the wet in the dabs caused salts to come out the chimney where the dabs were. As yet I haven't managed to totally tame them. I am hoping once I get the stove in it will keep the efflorescence down (it's basically the salts absorbing water vapour out the air and/or any residual moisture in the wall coming out) I suspect my walls have a fair bit of trapped moisture inside the salts in the bricks. I did make the mistake, when the house was mid-refurb of jet-washing the back wall of the fireplace to clean it so I could keep the bare brick finish at the back. I suspect a fair bit of this water got absorbed into existing salts.

At the moment, the solution is a quick sand and a coat of emulsion (mine is not papered) when crystals appear, and see if in time it goes away - it is reducing. Ultimately, I think the solution if it doesn't go by itself, is chop the brick out and replace with new concrete blocks.

3. Ant62

Ant62 Member

Well i gave it a dose like the salt away bottle says and that was 2 weeks ago i think..
    Ive waited until its dryed before giving a pva coating.
    Ive lined over it so its a waiting game..

I must say that after the initial dose of salt away nothing as appeared yet....

Time will tell.....