Not diluted paint!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Joe.Joe.Joe123, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Hi

My painter and decorator painted a mist coat (1:4) of Leyland contract matt to the walls and then painted on top 2 coats of Armstead Trade without watering down the 1st coat of the Armstead paint. He also did the same sort of thing with the kitchen ceiling, he painted a mist coat 1:4 of Leyland contract matt to the kitchen ceiling and then painted 1 coat of Macpherson Durable Acrylic but without without watering down that 1st coat.

Is my wall or ceiling paint going to flake/peel off? Before we do the 2nd coat of Durable Acrylic on the ceiling is there any remedial action that can be taken?

Thanks!

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Sounds fine. The very first mist coat of diluted contract matt provides the adhesion.
    There's no reason to dilute any subsequent coats.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you unhappy with the finish, if not trust in your painters judgement. You will not have a problem with paint peeling off, we all have our own preferences/techniques etc based on a few factors at the time of decorating such as surface absorbency, quality of paint, opacity, coverage, flow and so on.

chillimonster likes this.
  4. Phil the Decorator

Phil the Decorator Active Member

nope, you only need to thin the wash coat down.

Thinning the subsequent coats can be done to help with application if the paint is too thick.

Astramax likes this.
  5. I've been watching your videos. You're a legend!

Any suggestion for a colour or brand of paint for a kitchen? It's gotta be an off white/v light grey. I've completely gone off yellows/browns/beiges. I tried dulux diamond matt Egyptian cotton and I'm not keen on the colour

Phil the Decorator likes this.
  6. Phil the Decorator

a few options...
    zinsser permawhite (you ca get a colour mix on it) mould paint can be good for a kitchen.
    Crown Clean Extreme
    Isomat do a bathroom/kitchen paint

you want something hard wearing that won't get effected by cooing steam.

Don't use Dulux Velvet matt.. although a lovely paint.. it's not great in some kitchen areas. They recommend Dulux heritage eggshell.. but that may not be the finish you want.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My go to kitchen or bathroom paint is an Eggshell finish due to being hard-wearing, resistant to steam and condensation issues.

Phil the Decorator likes this.
  8. Phil the Decorator

Tikkurila Luja 7 is a good bathroom paint, but I don't like the sheen level of it.