Not going round the bend....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Graham Linton, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

My brother-in-law has just moved into a dormer bungalow. I noticed that their downstairs bathroom smells damp, really badly. They're having it all ripped out in Dec so further investigation re: the damp will take place. The neighbour said his smells too and when they made the bungalows they didn't put any u-bends on the sink or bath. I didn't think this was legal and thought it was part of the building regulations. They are probably 1960s in age. I may be wrong though.

The new plumber will obviously rectify this but I was worried as they have a new baby who isn't even 1 yet and the smell is terrible, so they're just not using it. Would it be worth capping the piping outside to stop the smells given the room isn't used?

Would really appreciate a little advice and what the law is too.

Many thanks

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Maybe the drains go to a hopper outside? Are you sure it's that which is causing the smell. Are the pipes (radiators and fresh water) set directly in concrete downstairs?

3. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

It comes out of the wall (the pipe) and is about 2" above the drain on both the bath and sink. I have no idea what the last sentence mean, apologies,

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I meant, maybe it smells damp because there is a leak in the floor.

5. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Ahh, sorry. Well there could be. Certainly smells like it. It's getting done soon so will be interesting. Am I right in thinking they should fit a U bend on both the bath and sink? Thanks

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

yes

7. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Thanks Jimbo, really appreciate the help.