Novice help outside light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dean McKenna, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Dean McKenna

Dean McKenna New Member

I have,

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Measure the voltages at the first " dim"
    light that's connected from the rose.
    Live to neutral.
    Live to earth.
    Neutral to earth.
    Tell us what you get

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Oh dear. I notice all the pros are keeping well clear :eek::eek:- @Bazza-spark - @Rulland you tried!

@Dean McKenna From this comment you are obviously young. You really don't know what you are doing and you are exposing yourself and your house to risks you obviously don't understand. When you don't know what you don't know it is easy to make really stupid mistakes.

On this forum you will find many very, very experienced electricians who will help people who demonstrate reasonable basic knowledge, and at the same time will tell people who are obviously electrical numpties (no offence) that they are better leaving alone something they don't understand to avoid tragic accidents.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    stevie22 likes this.
  4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

It's not only his lights that are dim :oops:

nigel willson likes this.
  5. Dean McKenna

Dean McKenna New Member

Appreciate the cons
    appreciate the constructive, but as I’ve said before I’m trying to learn about electrics which is why I have decided not to rewire a room etc, what I hate is when someone with more experience or knowledge immediately says nope to someone trying to progress instead of being constructive and pointing in the right direct, I’m not “dim” I haven’t just decided to randomly put L and N together willy nilly, I’ve researched what I can and I hit a brick wall, from inexperience as you’ve said. Merely what I was looking for was a book/website/pdf that teaches the basics. Again I appreciate your comment.

6. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

What you have to remember, is that if someone gives you advice on here, which you do not understand, and it all goes wrong, you may die.

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks. Y, I probably am 3x your age, and I've done far more DIY electrics than I really should have done. But for the last good few years I have restricted what I do to adding an occasional extra socket, replacement lightfittings, or adding very minor additions that I have already had my sparks provide the basic supplies for. For all new circuits and distributions I now always get a pro in, even though I feel I am pretty competent. Not so much because I can't do it, but because it just isn't worth the risk and hassle these days.

It's really good to learn the basics so you know what you can and can't do DIY reasonably safely, and increasing knowledge is always good, because as I said before the danger is always you don't know what you don't know. Downlighters, for example, can be a fire risk because some get very hot (not so much now with LED) and there are minimum clearances etc to observe.

I suggest you try and get a sparks to complete the work you want to do. It will be safe, and certified, but do keep learning and do come back if you need help with a specific question.

Sorry to sound a bit patronising. There are some sparks that think that zero DIY is correct, however many of us (and I am not a sparks) think that the pragmatic approach is to help people when we think it is safe, but to tell people when we think they are out of their depth.

Dean McKenna likes this.
  8. Dean McKenna

Dean McKenna New Member

Very educational, I know a lot of people who don’t cross trades even if it’s something daft mostly because of paperwork side of it. I understand that the down lights I’ve fitted are fire safe don’t require a firehood and the min clearance wouldn’t come into factor I don’t think because it’s not between floors, again like you said I could be wrong just recently I’ve decided to try better myself and see if I can get into a trade etc as coming out of school I never really enjoyed much but learning about how lights works has peaked my interest (from my little experience, I’ve skipped the basics and went straight to wiring which I shouldn’t have) I’ve also fitted kitchens and bathrooms so wiring the light was fine until I added the extra is where I was stumped, thanks for your replies. The other two lads are typical sparkies but I understand where they are coming from but I hate being told no you can’t do it. And I’m at the point where I can’t drop out of work and relearn so I’m trying to get something under me incase I do take the leap to an apprenticeship etc. Thanks guys.