Oak Beam span for outbuilding.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PlumbyGas, Sep 16, 2017.

1. PlumbyGas

PlumbyGas Member

Afternoon all.

A friend of mine asked me to come help him remove a deviding wall from a 1800s outbuilding. The wall quite literally came down in three minutes, falling away from the strong boys we had fitted (he was hired cut through an opening and fit a lintel). We notice before that the Oak beam running from left to right supporting either side of the pitch roof will not really sitting on anything other than crumbled mortar with clear light of day coming through in some places. Now the wall is down the two small areas now make a decent size workshop. The span is 3.8m now the customers have seen it with the wall completely down he wants to leave it completly open.
    My question is are these beams sufficient to support the weight of the roof? I know there will not be that much weight in the roof structure.
    I have suggested at least the fitting of an A frame to support the ridge.

The customer says he is happy to leave it and not to worry however if it was to collapse I am sure the customers tune would change. 20170916_132926.jpg 20170916_132950.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always pays to tie a rope around beam & acrow then there no risk of getting clobber by the acrow, if the wall collaspes.;)