oak floor cleats or staples?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

hi all, following on from an earlier thread, I thought about buying a pneumatic flooring nailer.. but they are SO expensive (and I cannot hire them anywhere around here. But I have seen the Silverline flooring stapler advertised (Also on ebay). In the States there is a huge debate which is better, but does anyone have any opinions over here about using staples instead of cleats? They use the Bostich staples.

woody

2. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

cleats and a powernailer 45r multiblow.
    tough as old boots, you will never break it, it will never jamb!
    pneumatic????????
    nah, couldn't be ar sed to drag compressor round, esp if just a small room.
    If you have a huge area fair enough but domestic, no need.
    Powernailers are quick enough and i would say the time humping your compressor on and off the job setting up etc the manual is quicker.

3. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Audi, it's that 200 sq mtrs floor over 2 floors. But I take on board your comments, I dont think I can hire one of those locally, but they do a cheaper version at the hire shop. I would have a bought a pneumatic one, but probably wont bother with buying a manual as they can be hired.
    cheers
    woody

4. uncle albert

uncle albert New Member

on a similar note ,putting down barn floor, want and exposed surface fix ie lost head or similar. but worried 65mm lost head wont have much hold over 22mm oak. would a cut nail be better or can i get a ring shanked lost head/ oval??? cheers.
    Is it wise to use adhesive between joists and boards as extra bond??

didnt mean to hyjack your post,woody

cheers.

ps i have a cheepo tackwise second fix nailer 240v, and its well impressive it will fix the above oak with a 45mm brad no sweet, but I dont know if they do a proper flooring nailer.

5. lamello

lamello New Member

you cant fix oak flooring with 18g brads. Even me and Mr Deeds will agree on this nailer issue.

6. uncle albert

uncle albert New Member

you are right. you cant. I was just refering to tackwise kit as to weather they did a cheep flooring nailer.