Oak table

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Maattttt, Apr 17, 2015.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get a sheet of Oak laminated MDF, lip it with oak trim and Bob's your uncle.

2. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

Oh I didnt read hes post properly thanks for yourg great advise gents.

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Get an off cut of solid oak worktop, beat it up a little bit, coat of oil, job done

Maattttt likes this.
  4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I just read that add properly, I reckon thats a bargain

Maattttt likes this.
  6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

it could as others have said be in the description
    dark oak finish solid wood=any wood with dark oak finish
    lovely oak effect finish=any material may not even include any wood but will look like oak
    dark oak style =again any thing you like but dressed to look like

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

WTF are you on about, it doesn't look like oak in any way, shape or form.

Gatt likes this.
  8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Artistic license!

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

released under license

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Bring back the dog licence.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, there!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

goldenboy likes this.
  12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Anyway back to the warpping of the Oak (Pine) :), is the conservatory it's in heated, if not any real wood table may warp due to heat changes and condensation.

13. Mr Handyman

Mr Handyman New Member

Sure looks like pine to me too - the open end grain indicates that it it is a fast growing wood -ie softwood. Oak is slow growing and the rings are very close together. But whatever the wood the associated problem looks like the way the planks have been secured to the frame - the wood has been able to twist on drying and it could not do that if the boards had been both dry and adequately screwed. I would have done this by countersinking for screws and plugging using matching wooden plugs. I would also suggest tongue and groove would have been preferable for a table top - locking the boards in edge alignment. Lousy job.

14. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

The paint had probably just dried before Matt bought it , thrown together couple of days before. Cowboy . Get your money back mate .

15. JamieTheJoiner

JamieTheJoiner New Member

That's rough lol

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do not get Handy to make you a table, he's almost as rough as the bloke who made this one. :oops::oops:

17. Hi Matt (punching above yer weight there, ain'tcha'? :rolleyes: )

Does your table have to be real oak - ie. are there other hardwoods in that room/house that you want it to be in keeping with? Or are you happy with the actual looks of this table, with it being a dark-stained softwood table? (It is actually attractive - if that is the style you want.)

If you want to return it, then that shouldn't be a problem. Not only was it possibly mis-sold (but watch out for them claiming it was 'oak-stain'), but it's coming apart from not being made properly. It's faulty - end of.

However, if you want to keep it, it shouldn't be an issue for them to sort it - provided they really do have a chippie working for them and are not chust an outfit that give bits of furniture a quick coat of paint.

A proper chippie would probably biscuit-joint & glue the timbers to keep it all stable, and then fix the whole top down using sliding clips or brackets with oversized holes to allow it all to move.

Once fixed, the table would then benefit from a whole sanding/planning to flatten the 'cupping' of each board (but I'd still keep each end grain going the same way as there's nothing worse than even slightly concave cups.) Likely each plank would still cup very slightly more in time, but this would now be minimal, and would all slightly raise in the centre of each plank the same way. That's chust character...

So - options...

(1) Take it back for a full refund as not fit for purpose (bear in mind they can argue that they should be allowed to fix it for you first - which is true. And if it was described as 'oak-stain' then you are potentially stuffed. However, considering the two huge complaints you have with it, they'd have to be brass-necked to refuse you. If they try, just stand in their shop and complain very loudly - they'll soon give in...

(2) If you still want the table, allow them to fix it - but explain they only have one chance to do this and it has to be done properly - and you are now informed as to how it should be done.

(3) Haggle a massive discount - and then sort it yourself (or get a chippie friend to do it.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yes i know that lol
    all i am saying is the description can be misleading give you one impression by the use off weasel words ;)

19. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

Attached Files:

20. Maattttt

Maattttt New Member

I am really happy with the style of the table but it's just getting a lot worse,
    the original photos I took was about 3 weeks ago.
    If they could fit a new top and with proper jointing that would be great, as I'm no carpenter, if they was to make the repairs, would they have to take the hole thing apart and fit a new top or just add extra supports?

I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible to fight my case ;)

I've taken another look at the advert before I return and they used solid oak chairs And followed by oak stain top so I guess it was me miss reading/understanding,