Oak Veneer MDF linings

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by kernowboy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. kernowboy

kernowboy New Member

Why is it that Oak Veneer MDF linings come in such stupid widths?

I have a new timber frame build to do so therefore internal studs will be CLS 89mm, plus 12.5mm plasterboard and skim (approx 3mm) to either side, therefore overall wall thickness of 120mm.

Howdens and others do oak veneer linings at 115mm or 138mm. The 115mm ones would be tight (allowing for deviations in CLS) even without skimming.

9mm board would work but not very good for walls.

Even using 47 x 97mm (4 x 2 timber) for studs would give a finished wall of 128mm so still 10mm shy of using the larger width.

How annoying, what do others think?

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Regardless of allowances plasterers ALWAYS "overskimm" any size given to work with, also there's always an issue of lining not lining up or doors having a twist in them and need to readjust the frames.

Smartest I have done is to have "build frames" out of 12mm OSB 8mm narrower, than MDF frames, that I fitted into openinings after plastering has been done.

If I would build a house for myself, I wouldn't hesitate to use extra skin of plasterboard for better sound insulation and thus would open even more room for options to get over the sizing you are having

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

If you're that fussed rip down the studs in the walls that have doors by 5mm or so.

4. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

Howdens linings always the same, always have to rip the linings down, but as your using the oak veneer uou only have a few options

Use 89mm cls and 9mm board, rip down and re edge the linings, go online and get them made up or use solid oak for your frames

5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Cls readily available for stud walls. Doesn’t work with standard linings.

Pack out one side with 9 mm board.

6. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

neither does regularised?

7. xednim

xednim Active Member

search online for adjustable door lining- there is quiet few that will fit

8. Shytot

Shytot Member

I don’t know how costs compare but we make our own oak mdf linings out of 2440 x 1220 boards