Oak Worktop Joint

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by besp, May 24, 2010.

1. besp

besp New Member

Evening all,

I am fitting oak worktops and have an L joint to make. I am thinking about the movement along the joint and it's water tightness.

I am butt jointing and have routed for worktop clamps. I have also cut for biscuits. I have already applied 3 coats of danish oil all round and plan to apply another 2 to the top surfaces when finished.

So 2 questions:

Do I glue the biscuits or leave loose?

Do I use silicone or some other jointing compound along the joint? My main worry is how it will effect the top surface which already has 3 coats - won't sanding to remove residue cause a patchy look along the surface?

Any other tips?

Thanks.....

2. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

in theory you should not glue the joint to allow for expansion, but I tend to use waterproof PVA to be on the safe side.
    I'll be interested to know what others use.

3. loosenup

loosenup Member

Much the same Mr Kitchen .
    I tried silicone once , but would not adhere to the oiled surface.. looked bloody awful .. opened joint and resealed with PVA.. never had a prob there
    I have thought of locking the joint up with the oil still wet .. in theory should seal the joint.. never tried that tho

phill

4. besp

besp New Member

Thanks chaps. PVA it is.....

5. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

i spoke to a manufacturer once who recommended 'cascamite' which is basically wood glue.

Dont overtighten the bolts as it can cause the top to bow up. Guess how i know this?! :'(

If you have to sand it a lot you can even up the colour with a few coats of oil.

6. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

I do not oil the two edges to be glued- no point. If you use waterproof pva and plenty of it this will seal the join and dries clear so fills any minor imperfections in the joint. When glue dries I then sand the join perfectly flat with orbital sander then apply top coats of oil.

7. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter New Member

I agree with clarky, i never oil the joint edges.
    i do insert biscuits but dont glue them.
    Have used both silicone and pva to seal joint, never had a problem with either.