Oak Worktop Oil - suitable for doors too

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by jimoz, Apr 20, 2019.

1. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Is there a osmo oil which is suitable for doors and worktops?
    I see a lot of danish oil being advertised by worktop manufacturers but understand osmo oil is usually better?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Thanks, shame can't use one for both!

4. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Don't see why you couldn't use topoil on both really but try some on part of the door which can't be seen for a while. I suppose there is some risk that an oil may lift veneers but would have thought that was unlikely.

Danish oil is easy to use and dries at a reasonable rate. Usual way of applying it is a generous coat, leave for 10min or so and wipe of excess. Repeat 6 hours later, same again 6 hours later. Re oil every 12 months. ;) Generous means a good wet film. I used some recently on some timber, not worktop. Brown bottle by the furniture clinic off Amazon. I was a little concerned that it might have been made to dry to quickly but is ok. It leaves a lustre rather than a shine but will alter the colour of the timber a bit in the brown direction. I think most if not all oils do that.

Osmo or Danish - I'd ideally want to talk to some one who has used them on their own kitchen worktops for a couple of years. Hot stuff seems to be a problem with all of them so I chickened out and stuck with melamine. I do have an oak dining table and aren't too sure what to use on that. Best option is to find out what was used by the people we bought it from. It took some time to dry completely after we got it home.

John
    -

5. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Just oiled the OSMO top oil. Seems the bee's knees to read about it. Went for satin

Thanks for the advice both

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Lovely stuff Top Oil

7. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Doesn't go far. Done all underside and back edges twice reckon I've gone thru more than half. Where's best place to get long free cloth do asda etc stock?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Unbleached cotton Stockinette,or Mutton cloth as it's called,available in rolls,various lengths,widths & grades.

QUOTE:

The Coarser grade is excellent for applying wax paste to large surfaces such as doors or floors and general cleaning. Its coarser cotton weave holds the wax polish, enabling you to work the wax over the surface and burnish to a better shine far better than standard cotton cloths, which have a tendency not to hold the wax and slide over the surface.

The Finer grade Stockinette is softer and commonly used for wax polishing furniture and smaller areas, including car body panels.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I used to find that the stockinette cloth left lint everywhere. I've had great results with blue roll for Danish oil.

10. LEH

LEH Active Member

White scotchbrite pads are supposed to be the best application method according to YouTube. They are quite expensive though.

11. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

With danish oil I brushed a light film on. Left for a while and then wiped off the excess with kitchen paper roll.

If some one wants to use a cloth Toolstation sell some dish cloths that could be suitable. Same sort of material mentioned but soft and pretty robust.

https://www.toolstation.com/premium-large-dish-cloths/p97343?searchstr=dish clot

:( Linked to as their latest search will take people to sanding. There web site was good for finding stuff - unlike Screwfix. Now it's worse.

John
    -