Odd leaking sink!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Brian Lambton, Dec 8, 2018 at 2:30 PM.

1. Brian Lambton

Brian Lambton New Member

i have fitted a new sink with all the fittings, everything works but when I test the overflow I get a leak between the sink and the new strainer fitting, there is no problem with the water draining from the sink normally.

Any ideas apart from not overfilling the sink?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 2:42 PM
  2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Sink or hand basin ?
    pics
    RS

3. Brian Lambton

Brian Lambton New Member

Kitchen sink, with a raiser for the strainer

4. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

Are you sure the water is not escaping from higher up ,the overflow to sink connection ,and not just dribbling down and showing around the underside ,at the waste outlet to sink connection ?

KIAB likes this.
  5. Brian Lambton

Brian Lambton New Member

I don’t think so, seems to be coming from between the underside fitting and the sink itself, as I say it is odd....

6. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

Very unlikely to be what you think. Can you post pics ??
    If you leave the plug in and overfill the sink ,to just below overflow ,any signs of leak ? Or is it only when water runs down the overflow pipe.

7. Brian Lambton

Brian Lambton New Member

There is no leak until the water flows into the overfIow I will post a coupe of pics once in the house.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Was the drainer and overflow components in one of those big mixed bags from B&Q ?

Not very good quality if that’s the case, especially the tapered seals between waste pipes

Is the over flow a simple coregated flexi hose that pushes onto plastic fitting on sink then other end pushes onto trap ?

Could be leaking from either end of hose or from overflow fitting that screws to sink. Should be a rubber seal between components and sink

Get under sink with a torch and paper towels and ID where water is actually leaking from

9. Brian Lambton

Brian Lambton New Member

upload_2018-12-8_17-23-46.jpeg
    Ok, looks like a newbie error! I had the washer on the outside of the overflow so the water MUST have been flowing along the pipe, though in fairness it did not look like it! Now fixed and working :). Thanks for all the helpful comments.