Offer discount codes

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by PGB, Jun 8, 2009.

1. PGB

PGB New Member

My wife gets weekly 10% offer discount codes sent to her works email address although she does not use Screwfix, I on the other hand spend thousands with Screwfix and never get any offer codes, anybody else out there getting regular offer codes??

Come on Screwfix, time to look after your regular customers rather than ones who don't spend anything with you.

2. imran_

imran_ New Member

Why would they send them to you, since you shop here anyway ;) That's actually a serious answer BTW.

3. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

Screwfix dont take any notice of things that are written here so your point is ?

4. PGB

PGB New Member

You are obviously one of these guys who knows nothing about business, its called rewarding those who give you business, and thats a serious answer back to you!!

5. PGB

PGB New Member

I suggest you stay on your tea break buddy, your comment is about as helpful as a wet rich tea biscuit

6. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

You dont get the discounts?

Then take your custom elsewhere is you think you can do better.

That was a serious and sensible answer.

7. Loz the Plumber

Loz the Plumber New Member

I cant even buy from screwfix since they banned me :(

8. imran_

imran_ New Member

* its called rewarding those who give
    * you business, and thats a serious answer back to you!!

Screwfix DO reward me, with good account terms & special offers related to my industry. If I buy in bulk I also get excellent pricing so I'm very happy.

9. jizzinmypants

jizzinmypants New Member

why did they ban you

10. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

anybody who has a main business account with screwfix must be a small business, most likely a sole trader :(

11. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

and a sole trader is not a fishmonger, ponty :^O

12. greatgreedyguts

greatgreedyguts New Member

what is a sole trader?

13. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

ponty, lets just say you know what it isn't :)

14. imran_

imran_ New Member

must be a small business, most likely a sole trader :(

Quite wrong ponty[full stop]. The problem I have is that I disagree completely with the rip-off/haggle mentality of my merchants and the generally poor stock they hold. For example......
    - oh we're out of non-branded 22mm elbows so I'll stick a load of outrageously priced Endex in there....
    - your radiators are not here because xxx was dealing with it and he's been away ill
    - what's a (insert any familiar plumbing part here)??

That's exactly the same business I DO NOT do with my customers (i.e. price high and see what they can beat you down to).

Screwfix are on the same estate as the other merchants, have sensible prics for everything - and Plumbfixc are actually cheaper than merchants for most things (boilers excluded).

Unlike builders/timber merchants, most of the stuff sold in plumbers' merchants are easily delivered - I predict the poor and greedy merchants will disappear rapidly.

Seems to me they try and make the same margin on everything. £20 on a boiler, £20 on a pack of olives!

15. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

imran, what you should be doing when you supplier is out of stock of the non branded product is agree to take the branded line - at the price of the non branded.

i'll be happy to purchase any number of boilers with only a £20 mark-up

16. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

imran, what your should be doing when you supplier is out of stock of the non branded product is agree to take the branded line - at the price of the non branded.

i'll be happy to purchase any number of boilers with only a £20 mark-up

17. imran_

imran_ New Member

I agree. But you try getting any of the main TCs to credit you when you find out what someone else has signed for....

Too much hastle for me - I like to get a bill and pay it sometime soon after the deadline. Not spend ages rectifying mistakes/mis-priced items and then get hounded from some stupid finance bod who doesn't know me from Adam.

18. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

this is where i was coming from earlier re small business / sole trader. one thing they dont have are the backroom staff to process such issues as those that you mention.

however it does potentially give the smaller company a pricing advantage as they are not carrying non productive staff that have to be paid for.

by the same rule it is an abstraction that is necessay for the smaller business as they still need to look at ways to control such matters.

19. imran_

imran_ New Member

Absolute tosh!!! Any company that is not 100% on top of costs is not on top of profits. You seem to be missing the point:
    - regardless of who does it, having to re-negotiate or get incorrect bills fixed costs MONEY
    - not being able to accurately fix your costs, when customers expect it to be so, costs MONEY

The average merchant is geared up for retail (forget trade) and multinationals (LSEs +). Which is ridiculous because even I have agreed price lists and terms with all of them (at great cost to themselves).

The plumbers' merchant - as was - is dead. They no longer have any competitive advantage, esp after getting rid of their most experienced staff. Any dog with a garage can get the same prices if they buy enough, and a garage has a much lower cost base than an outlet on a trading estate.

Have you seen PC's share price recently???

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You do realise this is Ponty/IWS you're arguing with, he never lets the truth get in the way of a good barney :)