Oil based gloss not dry.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by pbassred, Dec 12, 2016.

1. pbassred

pbassred New Member

A door. Not fitted and I'm not pressed for time.
    Rookie error #1 sent the wife to buy paint. She came back with oil based, non drip, one coat ("they didn't have anything else"). Rookie error #2 tried to use it as a one coat paint and put it on too thick. I had got used to water based paint - slam it on, brush it out and move on.
    So 2 weeks later and it hasn't hardened. its soft underneath. Will it ever harden off or should I sand it back and start over? Or cook it off?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sanding it off will be fun, if its still soft it will be a right mess, 2 weeks is a long time, where is the door while its drying, it should eventually dry out.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Put it somewhere warmer for a week.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had this happen to myself recently although no new wood involved, still not dry after a week so fetched it of with a rag soaked in white spirit and it came off a treat, after that wiped over with meths to remove the white spirit and started again. In your case if it was new unpainted timber it should have been primed first.

FatHands likes this.
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wouldn't surprise me if you could peel it off in one piece, leaving wet paint under! Skin has dried, sealing the under from air.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

When I started again I used fresh paint.;)

7. pbassred

pbassred New Member

Yes Handyandy, its skinned over.. I think its soft underneath but not wet.
    Its in the conservatory. I does get clod at night (Its December). So can I just keep it warm and wait?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Warm and moisture-free - and wait!

Or start again as astra said.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really