Oil based undercoat as top coat?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DavidMSmith, Dec 15, 2020.

1. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

I am seeking advice re using oil based undercoat as top coat for internal woodwork.

We want a flat finish on our white internal woodwork. Hate using water based paints. Tried satin and eggshell oil based, but even eggshell is a little too shiny.

Recommended to try Johnstone's flat oil paint over undercoat (Leyland Trade oil based undercoat from SF). The latter is easy to apply and easy to lay off to lovely smooth finish. Whilst pleased with the flat oil topcoat, I found it a little more tricky to apply and lay off. So I actually prefer the undercoat to the top coat. It's also a lot cheaper!

Could I simply use 2 or more coats of Leyland oil based undercoat? Is there something extra in the flat oil paint that's essential to make it resistant to marks and knocks, and fade resistant?

Any advice much appreciated!

2. Riddor

Riddor Member

Few years ago skint painted ceiling with under coat as we had it looked ok

3. Alan_C

Alan_C New Member

I too find satinwood too shiney and have just overpainted an internal 6 panel moulded woodgrain textured door usng Dulux Trade (oil) undercoat (previously satinwood).
    Took my time using a quality brush.
    Went on really easily with a great even layer.Looks great.

I can't advise you about marks, knocks, and fade resistantance.

But as it was quicker & cheaper I don't mind if it needs painting again (sooner than normal) - what ever that is?

Why not try it. What have you got to lose.

4. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I doubt the undercoat would have the necessary durability. And probably not the ability to stay white which a top coat would. Especially a water based one.
    I prefer a flat finish too for paintwork but never found anything that is useable but doesn't have slight sheen. What makes it worse is when the grandkids come round leaving grubby fingerprints and even traces of felt tip on the paintwork cleaning it all off leaves a glossy patch! I hate that! The glossy patch I mean not the grandkids coming round!!
    No doubt an expert will be along soon to advise.

5. DavidMSmith

DavidMSmith Member

Many thanks for your contributions - much appreciated! Any other snippets of advice from anyone?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

This isn't a snippit it's the way forward.......as with all paint effects seal over the undercoat with a clear matt varnish for protection, a couple of coats will be fine. Use an oil base varnish over the oil paint. ;)

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Buy water based alkid. Uses water as delivery vs solvents so similar application to oil based. Can buy small tin and try for interest.. Here in matte