Oil boiler lockout

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andy gray, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

I have a green star heatslave oil boiler which has started to lockout again , despite being recently serviced, it’s showing a flash code on the DKO 970 which suggests , lockout within safety time , no flame established,
    What’s the remedy for this please!!!!!
    Many thanks

Andy.

2. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Fill tank, clean filters, replace transformer, replace solenoid coil, replace photocell, replace electrodes, replace nozzle, or recall your service engineer for an informed diagnosis.

3. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

Many thanks for your reply, all those suggestions have been done, apart from engineer recall!!!!!!
    Just wondering if there was an easy fix!!!!!!

4. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

There probably is, just need to identify the offending part or process. Are you saying that all those parts have been replaced? (p.s. forgot the control box!!!)

5. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

Over the last 18 months we have had 4 engineer visits 3 by 1 engineer who changed everything on your list apart from transformer, control box works for a few weeks and then start tripping,last visit by a engineer no had before, Gave it a service, all well for about 2 months then it’s started tripping out intermittently, last few days tripping every time it’s trying to fire, hence I found the flash codes, which indicate no flame establishment within time period just trying to understand why!!!!!

Thanks for your reply
    Andy

6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Get one of your boiler engineers out again to properly investigate it.
    Or get a different engineer out for a fresh start to look it all over.
    Difficult to find very intermittent lockouts, but I personally would first look at flue air intake and if flue gases are possibly being drawn into flue internally or externally if balanced type.
    Also would check oil line for leaks or possible air ingress.
    Flue analysis readings should be perfect as to boiler MIs. Not all service engineers do this correctly.
    Perhaps all the above have been thoroughly checked.

If photocell has clear view of flame and blast tube is not sooting, then considering what you already have got replaced :eek: I would also think of motor capacitor, oil pump solenoid valve itself, or entire oil pump, or burner motor.
    How old is the boiler?
    Oil pumps on Riello burners can be worn and cause lockouts.

7. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

Many thanks for your reply
    All your suggestions I would of hoped the engineers would have checked!!!!
    The blast tube dose soot up , photocell is new a very clean, I did mention this to the last guy that came , and questioned weather this was the problem , he just said the shooting was normal!!!!!!
    I have taken the burner out myself and cleaned up the blast tube , it’s works perfect for a few weeks before starting to trip again, is this a mixture problem,
    I asked what the gasses were like and he said perfect!???

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think you need to find a better engineer.:)

9. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

eaiser said than done!!!!!

I’m in Steeton West Yorkshire,
    Recommend anyone!!!
    Think we’ve tried all local to us!!!
    May have to go direct to Worcester!!!!!
    Again many thanks for taking time to reply.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Way off my patch.

Might not be a bad idea.

11. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

Ok thanks.

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Apart from a very light coating of soot on blast tube diffuser part, you should have little or no sooting.
    What readings did the engineers get with their analysers?
    Should be a print out from analyser.

13. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

I’ll find paperwork and let you know , can’t find it, wife has a habit of tidying things away, !!!!!!!!

14. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

029FC189-1B90-4461-9F7B-F5D66418A912.png BFECD4BA-38EC-43CA-881C-9A12C68C67AD.jpeg Ok sorry for delay!!
    Hears what we received

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I see it is a Sterling 108 burner.
    The motor capacitor (which is a separate part) can give trouble. Fairly common fault.
    Definitely should have been something checked or replaced. Not expensive.

Do not rule out the motor having a fault causing rare lockouts.
    The oil pump also can have a faulty solenoid valve (mechanical part).
    And to add to the list, - since the transformer has not been replaced it could be causing a weak spark occasionally.
    The settings look okay on above paperwork.
    A printout from any engineers analyser for gas or oil boilers worth having as proof of readings.

16. Andy gray

Andy gray New Member

Ok
    Again thanks for your knowledge on the subject,
    Will have to get an engineer out again soon I think!!!!!’

Andy.