Oil combi problem...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by graham3232, Feb 15, 2009.

1. graham3232

graham3232 New Member

Hi all,

I have a Worcester greenstar heatslave 18/25 oil combi boiler that’s three years old, serviced last year. First problem is that recently I have noticed the radiators are sometimes getting very hot, way too hot to touch and hotter than usual, thermostats all ok and I can’t see any reason for this.

Secondly I had a mixer shower installed recently. This runs fine with the boilers small hot water store, but once this runs out after a few minutes and water is heated directly off the mains it goes luke warm. I measured it at 35 degrees at the shower and other hot taps. I turned the inlet valve on the boiler down to almost shut to restrict the water flow, but it made no difference. I know a combi will struggle with cold mains at this time of year but this is a high flow rate boiler of 18 litres per minute, any ideas what might be wrong?

It was a complete new system 3 years ago, properly flushed and sentinel inhibitor added, never lost any pressure!

Graham.

2. bettyswallocks

bettyswallocks New Member

sounds like the divertor valve is stuck, the heat bank is calling for heat but its going to the rads.

3. Ben the Plumber

Ben the Plumber New Member

Sounds likely, changed a few cartridges on newer worc combis. Honeywell ones? Cant remember now, they come with a little tin spanner to release the old one, the first one you do is a fiddle, but after that theyre ok.
    Magnetite seems to bung them up really easliy. Not a great design methinks.

4. CCC CC

CCC CC New Member

Bettys on the money,diverter valve

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I have a Worcester greenstar heatslave 18/25 oil combi boiler................Sorry to hear that, they're not the best or near it!!! Yes, I'd say Bettysmallone has it sussed.