Oil over ***** acrylic

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by BigT, Dec 2, 2018.

1. BigT

BigT New Member

Hello all

I've painted all the trims in my house with Crown Acrylic Eggshell and it is completely ****. The finish is bordering on transparent,really hard to avoid brush marks. It just looks **** and I'm not happy with it.

I'm considering my options...

1. Get some good old fashioned oil based eggshell or satin and put a coat over the top. Although I'm worried this is a definite no-no.
    2. Buy another brand of water based eggshell and paint a coat or 2 of that over the top? If this is a good idea. Which brand would you lot recommend??

Any advice on this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

How many coats have you applied?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What brush type have you used?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Was the acrylic Crown Fast Flow?

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Stick with wb paint but buy some decent paint. If price is an issue then go with one from trade centre brands talked about here, but If you want something better then look online and mail order it as most have to buy the good stuff online.

6. BigT

BigT New Member

Thanks for the input...

- I have applied 2 coats
    - I used a decent Purdy brush
    - it wasn't the Fast Flow, it was just standard Crown Trade Acrylic Eggshell
    - Price isn't really an issue, I've bought the Crown Trade Emulsion and found it decent so thought I'd give the eggshell a try. Would be happy to fork out for something more expensive, it necessary

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown Fast Flow is unavailable in an eggshell finish, the Satin is very good though.

9. BigT

BigT New Member

10. BigT

BigT New Member

So would you guys recommend Crown Fast Flow as the best Satin on the market?

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not a chance. No way. Light sand. Real good wash as so important to get it clean. Good wb undercoat then 2 good top coats of something good. You can get matt finish now or Eggshell 10% sheen or satin 30% sheen or gloss 80-85% sheen..

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'm all in on this.. No need to undercoat if old gloss is solid. Light de gloss and get real clean. Levels like nothing I've used before and goes miles. Complete HLS and 1 room at my home and I've still got ⅓ of a tin left... Here watch youtube for review scratch tests ect ..

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have a look a Zinsser 'ALLCOAT'.;)