Oils

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mr-Alive, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Mr-Alive

Mr-Alive New Member

Hi is it possible to use Danish oil over Teak oil? The two oils won't react or just sit on top of the other one and not dry will they? As I have just finished a door which I have been doing and which I used Danish oil and it has come up with a lovely glossy finish after 9 coats, another job I was doing I used teak oil but it does not give a high shine finish like Danish oil. Thanks <u>Andy</u>

2. JIM

JIM Guest

hi i am not an expert on oils, but have used them ,,i would say it would be ok to do that, the teak oil will have soaked in by now, light sand down the apply the oil.
    jim

3. a

a New Member

Hi,

I used to be a die-hard oil and beeswax man. (I used to sneer at varnish until he pointed out that we have laquer and varnish etc because it is an improvement on the old finishes). I read a book by a bloke called Bob Flexner called something like 'Finishes' which is absolutely excellent. In it he dispels myths and explains what will go with what and when to use what finish. Available on Amazon

I cannot recommend it enough.

Re: Danish Oil and oil, I see no reason why it will not go together.

Hope this is useful

Dansih oil is actually

4. a

a New Member

Hi,

Sorry about the last version - I hit 'post message' before I had finished!

I used to be a die-hard oil and beeswax man. I read a book by a bloke called Bob Flexner called something like 'Finishes' which is absolutely excellent. In it he dispels myths and explains what will go with what and when to use what finish. (I used to sneer at varnish until he pointed out that we have laquer and varnish etc because it is an improvement on the old finishes, like oil, wax and shellac)Available on Amazon

I cannot recommend it enough.

Re: Danish Oil and oil, I see no reason why it will not go together. It will layer but only in the same sense that your previous nine coats have layered. And provided the layer is thin enough it will dry.

Dansih oil is actually a mixture of varnish and oil which is why it is shinier than straight teak oil. The varnish/oil mix is also a better protector than straight oil. Oil seems not to be very good at all (contrary to my former opinion...)

Hope this is useful.

Cheers.