Ok Boiler Fitter to go smart or not to

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DEEDIY, Aug 21, 2022.

1. DEEDIY

DEEDIY New Member

Hi There
    To prevent repeating thread I did do a search but could only see loads posts based on fitting smart thermostat systems which would come quite handy if I go down the smart route.

My questions to engineers (if you wouldn’t mind answering) is:
    1. Is it really worth it going smart for heating?
    2. What type of issues have you come across with combi boilers?
    3. What thermostat do you feel is the most user friendly?

I stay away often so it would be nice to be able to set the heating to come on just before I return so it not constantly left on, on timer.

I’ve been looking at Hive and Nest with smart radiator thermostats (steering more towards Nest) but it would be nice to hear your views.

2. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

Q1. Yes it can.
    Q2. None
    Q3. Also worth a look at Honeywell Evohome. Choose a system where the radiator thermostats can actually turn the boiler "off", rather than "down". This is likely to mean getting the whole system from a single manufacturer.

3. DEEDIY

DEEDIY New Member

T
    Thanks for answering, I’ve just had a Valliant Ecoflex Pure fitted which I’m supposed to be able turn off/on by the thermostat (not rads) but I think there is a glitch somewhere because I’ve no heating whatsoever; they’ll have to come out again. The previous boiler worked from the thermostat as well but I never used in that way, I set specific times which I’d like to be able to control even further.