Old bitumen DPM

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by lesiu30, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lesiu30

lesiu30 New Member

Hi everyone, my first post
    1965 bungalow, removed vinyl tiles, old bitumen/asphalt acting as DPM about 15-20mm thick, should I remove it completely and pour some kind of liquid DPM? You can see in the photo that there is some kind of dpm in the wall. Property was empty for 2 years, very dry, no damp.
    Many thanks. Les

IMG_20160926_105520.jpg

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What type of floor are you relaying.

Nice bike in your avitar,what cc is it.

3. lesiu30

lesiu30 New Member

This bitumen is in every room in the house. So tiles, carpet and laminate flooring.
    Bike is Honda 125cc but it's not mine
    Thank you

4. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I think it would be better to leave the bitumen in place and use a self levelling compound over it - to level it and seal it. I am not familiar with the type you would need to go over bitumen, but I am sure someone else on the forum will be.

5. lesiu30

lesiu30 New Member

Thanks Dave. If it safe I really prefer to remove it because of smell and and I will get extra height in the rooms. It's coming off easily, cracking in pieces. Can I lay latex self leveling and dpm membrane on the top?

6. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Yes you most certainly can. It's an established house so it's most likely that if there are any issues they will become immediately obvious when you remove the bitumen. Provided it's all nice and dry then the steps you need to take are minimal.

7. shiva_fazeli

shiva_fazeli New Member

I think it is better to melt the bitumen and when it becomes hot liquid, pour it in the empty space, smooth its surface and give it a chance to harden.

8. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I had similar in last place. Following advice here I scraped any loose off gave 2 coats of bostick liquid dpm on top with ardex na self levelled over to seal. Worked a treat

9. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Sorry just seen old thread and spam