Old fine

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by spen123, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:34 PM.

1. spen123

spen123 Active Member

ive just had a debt letter given to me for being in the wrong lane back in May. The thing is it was sent to an address I haven’t lived at for 3 years.
    It’s now at £900

I went down the road twice as my satnav couldn’t find a different route. I was sent one letter and paid that but didn’t receive anymore.
    I don’t get why one would be sent to my current address and one sent to an old address. I have moved twice since being there.
    It’s in the same area and my brother lives a few doors down from the address the letter was sent to so it was given to him

Uni I will have to pay something but do I have to pay the full £900?

2. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

If it's Tfl.
    Then probably yes.
    I'm not suggesting you should be, in the circumstances you've described.
    However, they don't let go in my experience.

PhilSo

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

You could try asking them why they sent it there.

Though for them to know that address it must be registered with DVLA for that vehicle.

4. spen123

spen123 Active Member

But why would one come to me and another one to old address
    I’ve had a tax renewal date from Dvla to current address

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

True enough, so you need to ask TFL or whoever it is how they got your old address, if from DVLA then you have a valid reason for not paying on time and ask them to take this into account.

What was the fine for.???

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

I would have thought that they have a statutory obligation to use the correct address and if they fail to do so you should’ve able to have the issue heard in court

7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

The original correspondence was sent to the address that was provided by the DVLA. The debt collector probably turned up at your old address as was told that you no longer live there. They then looked up your details in the electoral register to find your new address.

BTW, the Post Office cannot redirect any official correspondence it can only be delivered to the address on the letter. Even if the new resident writes your forwarding address, it has to be returned to the government. They are still allowed to lodge a legal claim against you even if you haven't received the paper work.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

The fine may stand, but the associated rise in costs probably will be waived.

Curious as to why two tickets on the same day with the same vehicle would go to two different addresses.

Sounds like a simple administrative error.

9. spen123

spen123 Active Member

It was two days. The letter was given to me by my brother. He lives down the road from old address.

10. spen123

spen123 Active Member

More than anything I hope I can have a few days grace to pay it