Old goats.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by WillyEckerslike, May 17, 2020.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'll be the first to admit that as I've got older and more cantankerous there is one particular thing that gets my goat - chainsaws in the wrong hands. I do try to be polite about it - not always successfully.

I believe I have spotted some trends among my fellow forum members. Am I right and if not, what?

@Joe the Plumber - Rising damp
    @Astramax - Deleted (I'll save that one for a PM)
    @Deleted member 11267 - This will have to be multiple choice - Fly leads to back boxes, the Royal Family, metrication, the House of Lords...
    @Heat - clueless DIY plumbers going in at the deep end (no pun intended)
    @The Teach - see above
    @kitfit1 - 'Sailers' - people that come on here for expert advice and solutions who then sail off into the distance never to be heard from again. Must admit that's one of my spare pet hates
    @terrymac - struggling here - just too polite and helpful. Could maybe go for 'poorly worded questions with little information and no pictures' but still polite about that...
    @Wayners - see above
    @Mike83 - see above
    @Jord86 - unjustified moaning about another tradesman's work and the unseemly queue of laymen jumping on the bandwagon to condemn it whilst the tradesman is left hanging from a branch of the nearest tree. Jord is simply more willing to tell it how it is rather than spare some blushes. I wish I could more like that sometimes...

Who or what have I missed? I'm genuinely sorry if I've caused offence - is only meant to be a bit of fun (as they say) and I'm slowly losing the plot - I'm not even allowed out of my bedroom at the moment...

Heat, Jord86, Joe the Plumber and 2 others like this.
  2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Hi Willy
    I am fairly new to this forum and I have learnt a wealth of knowledge in my short time here and I am very grateful for it, but I was wondering what do all you experts get out of helping all us novice,s?
    Just curious that’s all.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

That's a good question. Hmm... I know in my case that I have learned a lot as well in the process so it's a net gain on my part. I'll get back to you on that.

Obviously everyone I've listed above is there because of the frequent helpful contributions they make anyway but I could have gone on for ages - there are lots of experienced DIYers who contribute as well.

4. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

I believe you are definitely a cog in this screwfix forum Willy AKA —— cantankerous old goat.:D

5. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I think you've got me sussed there Willy. I blame Jeff Howell, who used to write for the Sunday Telegraph and brought my attention to the stupidity of the supposed answers to damp and timber problems, both of which are classic snake oil salesman territory.

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Mmmmm, yep your right about me Willy. I also fall into @terrymac territory as well ''poorly worded questions with little information and no pictures'', only i'm not as polite lol :D

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Very very close Willy, but no Cuban, I also intensely dislike liars, rude, bad mannered people with attitude problems, people who think that the forum is a cyberspace entity and that if they keep 'bumping' the thread they'll eventually get an answer to the gibberish that passes as their question, lazy/textspeak English (not poor English though as they may be dyslexic), people who post 'War and Peace' but exhibit nothing of any use or merit, insecure people who when entered into a dispute start an argument to divert attention from their lack of knowledge, people who advise purchasing a mitre saw costing hundreds of pounds to cut a skirting board mitre when a Spear and Jackson will do the same job for a tenner, shops selling 50p sanitiser for £5, Silverline tools, etc ad infinitum.

Oh, and paragraphs. I really hate paragraphs. :rolleyes:

Aside from my misanthropic principles I hope you're feeling well and you're not struggling with your situation, we all whinge but you have my respect and admiration for the way you're dealing with and conducting yourself, not just now but for your tenure on here. Keep a strong mindset, grit your teeth and you'll be 'cwtching' your family again in a matter of moments.

8. WillyEckerslike

Doh! I completely forgot Silverline!

I'm getting better thanks Jord and the breathlessness and tiredness appear to be easing. I've had it easy unlike so many other people. There's always a bright side - I could have been sleeping on the sofa for the last week rather than the absolutely wonderful Mrs Eckerslike.

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

People thought I had Covid due to me sleeping on the settee but were relieved to find out Miss Jord just thinks I'm a ******** and put me in the doghouse :confused:

I don't want to know your bank details but are you doing okay financially too? How will your working circumstances alter in the coming weeks and months?

10. WillyEckerslike

Yeah we'll manage fine thanks Jord. As must be obvious by now we're boring gits and rather than overseas holidays or the latest this and that over the years we've saved hard, cleared our debts and are now able to draw on some of the money we'd put away. I've also got some very understanding clients who are content to wait for me to resurface so there's work in the pipeline once I'm up and about. Thanks for asking.

Jord86 likes this.
  11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Good, I'm glad for you, one less thing to be concerned about. I've just had my first weeks work after seven weeks of inactivity building a complicated extension roof, I feel like I've been run over by a rhino from climbing up and down a valley all yesterday, amazing how a few weeks off can affect fitness and contribute to half a stone or more in weight gain :oops:

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

We get to be "Screwfix Select"........................................it don't get much better :):D:D:D:D

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

[@Heat - clueless DIY plumbers going in at the deep end (no pun intended)]

I am guilty as charged Willy. :oops:
    Sometimes I just am feeling a bit cantankerous, but the threads asking advice on a simple part of a risky or large or complex job just makes me want to tell the OP to pay someone. :)

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You missed coloumb and switched fuse

15. Sparkielev

Or was that Lee sparky Kent ?

16. Sparkielev

Wayners = fingerblasting lol