Old heating system

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Toria Fullarton, May 17, 2018 at 5:55 PM.

1. Toria Fullarton

Toria Fullarton New Member

Hi there. First time home owner and I'm trying to freshen the house up. The last owner clearly fancied themselves as a DIY expert. Nothing here is done correctly. I have this ugly fitting in my kitchen that doesn't work and it's just a mess. I'd like to remove it, plaster over the mess and paint. Can anyone tell me how to do this? What happens if there's wires behind there?

Attached Files:

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

There could well be wire behind and they could be live.

What is te current heating that you have? Is there a controller elsewhere?

3. Toria Fullarton

That's what I'm thinking. It doesn't work anymore and we control it upstairs from the boiler

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

If you look under bottom of timer, you will see one or two screws, removing them, will allow you to remove timer & see the backplate & what wiring is connected.

[​IMG]

5. Toria Fullarton

Ok thank you :) what do I do with the wires?

6. John Southcombe

John Southcombe New Member

7. Toria Fullarton

Kind of looks like it's fixed in like cement? I took the screws out but it won't budge

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Some ones probably plastered or silicone around it.

9. Toria Fullarton

********. It's like an insert that's been painted round. Must be ancient. I think I'll prise it off then plaster the hole up. I *think* I know what I'm doing

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

I'm sure you do.

electric_shock_by_lilyfer-d56l5s9.gif

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  11. Toria Fullarton

Isitreally likes this.
  12. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Are there any odd wires maybe 5 or 6 core close to where the boiler is? Or close to the hot water cylinder (if there is one) or where it was.

13. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

You must make absolutely certain that the wires are actually redundant and are not connected to anything that could get turned on. You need knowledge and a voltage tester to do this.
    It’s dangerous to just bury wires in the wall and plaster over them.
    If you aren’t sure (you aren’t) then call an electrician. Please.

Devil's Advocate likes this.
  14. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

TF, have a look at KIAB's image in post #4 - see these two vertical screws at the bottom? Have you found them on your own controller (that switch below it might make it more awkward)?

First turn the power off. At the very least turn off the isolating switch for the central heating, or better still flick the mains CU isolator (because you cannot be sure that the DIY expert who lived there hasn't got multiple power supplies going to the CH...).

Ok, slacken these two screw off until they are floppily loose, and then try prising the programmer up from the bottom. If it doesn't want to budge, then you can try putting something on top of the switch to protect it and using this as a levering point - place the tip of a large screwdriver or similar under the bottom edge of the prog and lever it gently up - it should come off.

Once off, you could have exposed live wires.

Do you have a power tester? Turn the power back on and see if that 2nd wire from the left is 'live'. Even if it isn't, you do need to trace where that cable goes to and ensure it's fully disconnected there. You cannot - unless you are nuts - just plaster over the cables without be CERTAIN they are isolated.

15. Toria Fullarton

Speaking to my neighbour he says they are from the old heating system when the boiler was in the back room. The boiler has since been moved and we've replaced it so the wires should be dead as they aren't connected to anything.

16. Devil's Advocate

The wires should be dead, but you presumably don't want to be.

What kind of heating system do you currently have? What type of boiler? Do you have a hot water cylinder? What heating controls are there?

17. Toria Fullarton

Yeah I'd quite like to avoid it!
    The boiler is electric and we control it from there upstairs. When it was installed the heat tech never moved from that room or mentioned anything about the system down stairs. We just get hot water as and when we need it, it's not stored

18. Devil's Advocate

Ah. Chances are the wiring is completely dead, then; it would have been hugely remiss of them to have not isolated the old stuff.

But...

Did the place use to have a hot cylinder? Is there an 'airing' cupboard? If so, are there any rectangular 'wiring centres' in there?

19. Toria Fullarton

Nope. It was a completely different room which is now my daughter's and there's absolutely nothing electrical in there.

20. Devil's Advocate

Your call - your risk - at least test for any live wires (especially the 'red' one to the 'L' terminal).

Good luck - hope to hear from you again :)

A plus point is that there's also a light switch there, so no-one should be banging in nails in a straight line above, below or to the sides of that...