Old House Purchase - Lots of Remediation Work Required - Unsure How To Start

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by KHex, Sep 19, 2020.

1. KHex

KHex New Member

Hi, a long post as my 1st one on the forum.

I'm close to putting an offer in to buy an old house build in the 1820's. The house is on 4 stories (lower ground, ground, 1st and loft). There is lots of work required on the house and I am a complete novice when it comes to an approach, plan, order of work, budgeting, quality of work and engaging the correct tradespeople.

The house is in need of much renovation including:

• Remediate rising damp problem in the lower ground floor (no soil built up against the external walls, this is held back by external retaining walls)
    • Remediate chimney damp and chimney stack issues
    • Remediate roof issues, including possible new roof required
    • Replace damaged roof skylights x 3
    • Signs of internal wood and plaster damp due to points above
    • Signs of woodworm that may require some timber replacement and checmical treatment
    • Requires full heating system and electric combi-boiler (only electric storage heaters atm)
    • Requires full rewiring
    • Wooden framed double glazing
    • Requires some rooms to be stripped back and replastered (possibly replacing damp/damaged timbers)
    • Rebuild an external soil retaining wall around 2 sides of the house and add a dpc (wall is about 1.5m away from the house.
    • Update & upgrade bathrooms
    • Fit new kitchen
    • Remediate or replace fireplaces

The structure of the property is sound.

I am also aware I need to maintain breathability for old house, manage getting qualified tradespeople, manage getting quotes and contracts and manage delivery milestones and project plan.

The kinds of questions I have buzzing around my head is:

• Can all the issues be fixed?
    • Should I use a Construction Consultant to guide me, help with contracts, help me assign a lead construction firm, insurances, check trades peoples accreditation and provide project management type services for the list above?
    • Should I consider just using a lead construction firm and let them quote and do the work without the above consultant?
    • Are there some jobs on the list that are more suitable to being managed directly between me and an installer, like the kitchen or bathrooms?
    • At what stage do the tradespeople ask how I want the electrics or plumbing to look? Is this done up front when costing the work?
    • Do I need to spec the level of work I require? I'd rather pay a bit more for a quality job with guarantees.
    • In home remediation terms is the above list easy everyday stuff for good tradespeople?
    • What error of margin can I expect in the quotes I receive? Is 20% error normal? I have no idea.

• The final one for me is what should I be asking a Construction Consultant to actually do beyond guide me and ensure the work is a success?

Apologies for the long post and thank you if you take the time to reply to me.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

1. Everything can be fixed, it depends how deep your pockets are.
    2. There is no such thing as a Construction Consultant, even the term 'Project Manager' is a nonsense made up term in the last twenty five years or so to justify erasing the 'Clerk of Works' position, but my personal gripes aside, either employ a building contractor experienced in full house renovations with an 'in house team' so they sort everything themselves, or hire an individual tradesman you trust, that has good knowledge of the building industry and who has the contacts to sort the build out for yourself on a subcontracting basis and pay him to physically work for you and manage the build too. Or employ a 'Manager', instantly regret it, pull out your hair and teeth, take out another loan to fund it and come away from it in a suicidal stupor.
    3. See above.
    4. See above the above.
    5. You would need to know exactly what you want in order for the work to be priced accurately in the early stages i.e. tall feature radiators, boiler fed shower, spotlights, etc, no good telling the trades "what do you think would look good" as they don't care and it's your house not theirs. They can also quote for a basic fix then charge you additional extras based on any upgrades you decide later you want, but you need to know their rate beforehand, otherwise they could bend you over and shaft you if you ask them to change a tap or something.
    6. See above.
    7. Yes, but again, it's a fair amount of work that will cost a large amount all in, don't think it'll all be done for ten grand and a mars bar as you'll be seriously shocked.
    8. Funny term that, none is the answer as the quotes should be priced on the work they can physically see but you certainly should have a contingency fund for unforeseen works required, a fifth or quarter of the budget is normally allowed if the person has any sense.
    9. See answer two, but ultimately you want them to do their job, correctly, within budget, timeline and adhere to plans.

KHex, Squashrobinson, fff and 2 others like this.
  3. KHex

KHex New Member

@Jord86, thanks for the answers, they definitely help.

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

All the damp, timber treatment, etc, is a subject littered with a load
    of traps for the unwary. If anything you're going to do has featured on 'Homes Under The Hammer', it's almost certainly wrong.

Anyone offering 'damp proofing' is a cowboy with no understanding of old buildings.

Start here:

https://www.heritage-house.org/

Your builder will need to know about lime mortar too. If you're buying any cement for use in an 1820s house, it's a mistake.

Lime mortar:

https://www.lime-mortars.co.uk/

This book may also help:

https://www.mikewye.co.uk/product/period-property-manual-haynes/

It sounds like a great project. Please take care to ensure it's fit for the next 200 years when it's done.

KHex and fff like this.
  5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

When I first started renovating an 1818 stone wall and timber constructed farm house in the French Alps 30 years ago, my French neighbour told me to treat it like you would treat a new girlfriend ... start at the top and then slowly work your way down. ;)

I'm sitting in that very same house as I type this, and while I can see many mistakes that I made while learning, they're nearly all aesthetics; the basic structure is solid, the roof is still bone dry and the damp from the ground has been managed in a way that it doesn't make life uncomfortable or cause any issues.

I had never done a scrap of construction work before and took on the project with the same fears as you have. However you now have the advantage of forums like this where most members are really helpful. You've also got YouTube which has a wealth of useful how-to clips.

You will make mistakes but you will learn from them. Only ever do the big stuff first and worry about the little stuff once the big stuff is properly done. If you get the house for a good price, you will make money out of it in the long term so don't penny pinch. I bought my whole farm in France (with 2 houses on it along with a few outbuildings) for £80k 30 years ago. I spent about £100k and countless hours in renovating both houses and thought at the time that I was throwing money away. I was recently offered 2 million euros for the whole lot, which I obviously declined as it's a family heirloom, but it does indicate that you will not be wasting your money if you do it well.

Best of luck, and go for it!

KHex, fff and Jord86 like this.
  6. KHex

KHex New Member

@Joe the Plumber - thank you for the advice and book recommendation, I have ordered the book and will read carefully. The links are great, and I was already wary about people trying to sell a damp proof chemical injection to "fix" all my problems from the reading I have done, so it is good to hear you say that and means I can stick to my guns with that. It is my goal to get the job done by people that understand what is required and not sell me a quick fix. Several other interesting looking books popped up on Amazon so I ordered those and will have a read through to educate myself a little more.

@rogerk101 - thank you for the reassurance and advice. It is brilliant to hear about your French farm house, that is something that is a real legacy. I am hoping this will be something similar that my teenagers will enjoy in a few decades when I am not longer around, and it will be a happy place.

fff and Joe the Plumber like this.
  7. KHex

KHex New Member

I spent the morning yesterday reading over Pete Ward, (@Peteward7 Geologist, Miner, Destroyer of Damp Companies, and Old House expert...) and Gareth Fleming (@gfleming_2212 Chartered Building Surveyor specializing in the historic sector) Twitter timeline and following links they posted. I also took the time to understand the uses of sheep wool insulation from the product website, this was very helpful in understanding the role of good and breathable insulation in the loft and between floors. The Conserv website (lime mortar, plaster and render etc) is also really helpful. I'll be a goat hair expert by the end of this.

What is clear to me now is that I need to speak to the right people and not just a 'good' construction firm or a slightly pushy damp proofing firm.

I messaged a few people on Twitter that seem to specialize in the historic sector. Should I create a new thread here asking for any companies specializing in the historic sector in the North West England and/or South West Scotland? It might get a little more visibility if I do. It would be helpful to understand what work these companies have done in the past and what methods they use.

You have helped set me on the correct path in such a short amount of time, thank you.

fff and Joe the Plumber like this.
  8. fff

fff Active Member

This is such an interesting thread. It is a dream of mine to buy an old property and do it up completely- without losing anything of the original beauty and history. Good luck with the house. I definitely agree that you should get the best job done without penny pinching because it will absolutely be worth it the long run.

KHex and Joe the Plumber like this.
  9. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

first you need to get house watertight then electric plumbing then damp proofing in other words the messy jobs done first best of luck with this it will be all worth it in the end

KHex and fff like this.