Old lining paper overlap

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by demoguy, Jan 4, 2020.

1. demoguy

demoguy Member

Hi guys Moved into a bungalow a year ago, not bad decorating wise apart from one bedroom, I have a plaster coming in soon to do the ceiling as the prev owner has use that stipple paint stuff on the ceiling and attempted to do swirls on it look ****, Right the question I have is on the walls the wall has had lining paper put up and painted. I will be repainting once ceiling has been done, sadly the joins in the lining paper had been overlapped, I really don't want to re-line the whole room again, Can i peal back the overlap and then use fine filler to match or would this be to much any advice please

IMG_0271.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

You could try the following (I have just gone through a similar scenario).

With a very sharp blade cut down though both the overlap and underlap using a steel rule as a guide. May need another pair of hands to hold the rule in place. That should leave you with two thin strips to peel off and the paper should then line up which will need to be glued down at the edges. I have been using Everbuild 302 wood glue (basically PVA) which I have found has worked better with the edges than overlap or standard wallpaper paste, I just happened to have some so tried it as an experiment; it appears to go off quicker and holds better. Make sure to wipe off any excess with a very slightly damp rag or paper towel.

I also had gaps up to about 1 mm. I then used low tack tape each side of the gap as close as possible and ran a bead of Soudal light weight gap filler down the gap between the tape and smoothed it level with the tape and removed the tape immediately. Waited for it to go off and then very lightly sanded the filler level with the paper, being careful not to raise a "nap" on the paper. Seemed to work.

I am not a pro so any better, or quicker, way I would also be interested.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it worth messing about for an iffy look, far better to strip off and hang new paper to a higher standard of finish in my view. ;)

4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

To be honest Astra I was coming to the same conclusion after farting about for a couple days with my method! But there you go, at least it looks Ok now (now being the operative word) even if it took me ages.

paj likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not saying it's wrong just I wouldn't feel happy to do that as in this case it's more than a lose seam.

6. demoguy

demoguy Member

Ok thanks guys it will have to stay as it is then, as I cant do paper hanging myself to old now, and paying to have ceiling done, I only have a pension to get by on ,so I will just have to put up with it, thanks anyway

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

demoguy, why not ask the plasterer (how much) to do it for you whilst he's there?
    Should only take a jiffy to cut down with a sharp knife & re stick.

Just a thought, ("the joins in the lining paper had been overlapped") they don't look overlapped to me??? (Bad eyes) just fill it in with a fine paste.

8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes, just looked at it again and don't know how I missed that. It almost looks like two panels butted up unless you knew better?

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I don’t get it ,,,, 1st picture,,,,, how can that be an overlap ?

Looks more like 2 sheets square edge plaster board butted up together and not filled

Is wall definitely plastered or just plaster-boarded and painted ?

Do you have these gaps all over the room ?

Muzungu likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Doh! was wondering who would be the first to spot that! :rolleyes:
    It's a sheet of plasterboard papered prior to fitting to cover an already damaged ceiling. :cool:

11. demoguy

demoguy Member

This is def an overlap lining paper on the wall nothing to do with the ceiling ? the walls are all brick/breeze plaster, there are No plaster board walls in my bungalow, I can understand it is hard to tell from the photos I will try and take another photo tomorrow, the walls have been lined then painted in emulsion most of the paper joins have been overlapped, when you run your hand across the wall you hit the joint of the 2 sheets of paper

12. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Ok, think I am getting this. The walls are plaster and someone has folded over the edges of the lining paper slightly before "joining" them together? That would be original.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What is the gold round thing in the picture middle left, post a picture that is a little further away.

Muzungu likes this.
  14. demoguy

demoguy Member

That's just a wall light fitting, I have done wallpapering years back and understand the concept, ie when putting your paper up you butt the 2 sheets as close as you can sometimes it can be awkward so many people instead of keeping them close just run one over the edge of the last sheet and that leaves a ridge which is what i have, if i damped the lining paper and removed the ridge and then filled with fine plaster would it stand out like a sore thumb ? i have seen a youtube video of how to fill any gaps in the joints but would that work in this case ?

15. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Sorry, but it just doesn't look like one sheet under the other in your photo so can't advise further other than my first post which may not be suitable now I have looked closely at your photo. Astramax is the pro.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

OK, ease the edge away and dampen the whole edge along the entire length and leave for 5 minutes to soak, next apply an overlap adhesive to it leaving it again for 5 minutes to soak and become tacky, once this has been done use a wallpaper roller and gently press along the seam length wiping over with a damp cloth to remove any surplus adhesive, leave to dry and finish as you wish with emulsion paint.

17. demoguy

demoguy Member

I will try and explain with this photo i found online same scenario but much larger overlap than mine,Please understand this photo is not my wallpaper, but I have the same type of overlap issue. mine is much smaller overlap but still stands out like in this photo

dsc00076.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Muzungu likes this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Solutions in post #2, #3, #7 and #16. ;)