Old PC still on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Booted up my old PC this week, going to put it in the cabin. Its an AMD K6-2 processor probably about 11-12 years od, still works but is quite slow. Has got WinXP installed.

Tried updating the browser from Firefox to Opera, but the PC is so old it doesn't support SSE2 instructions. Any one here using an old PC with XP on it? What browser are you using?

I might install Linux at some point

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Google Chrome might work, XP isn't the problem, it the cpu, try a wanted on Freecycle,Freegle, you usually get a result, got a Intel i5-750- Skt 1156 pc off freecycle,obsolute cpu, but pc is very good, uppgraded from XP to Window 7 & now running Windows 10 perfectly, & plays most games on Steam, using 27" monitor.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Orb1782 likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Chrome is way too advanced for my PC, not compatible.

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

What K6-2 cpu you using.

Still have AMD pc with a Opteron 146 cpu, close to 15 years old & still working.:eek:

A lot of browsers with not work with XP or continue to support it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Dr Bodgit

er dunno, its a K6-2 I think...200MHz. Seems it was first released in 1998 or 20 years ago, might be older that I thought!

I'll see if I can download a later version of Firefox, some nice old photos on the drive, will scan it for useful stuff.

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Got a docking station you can copy off the photo's, but the K6-2 & XP has had it's day,your flogging a dead horse Dr B.:D

7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

What about Lunascape?

Here

KIAB likes this.
  8. Dr Bodgit

Thanks I'll give it a try

snappyfish likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Thought that had long gone,pleasantly surprised to see it's stiil around.:)

Got to be worth a try.:D

snappyfish likes this.
  10. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

How much RAM does it have installed? That might be an issue if you wanted to install something else.
    Regards,
    Cando

11. Gluggy

Gluggy Member

Maybe slightly off topic but chuck windows 98 on it and subject to video card it would make a great retro gaming machine...

12. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I bought my current PC from a charity for £10, Windows 7 Premium, it was on eBay.
    I only use it for quotes, invoices and connecting to the printer/scanner.

CGN likes this.
  13. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

At 200MHz I'm surprised it has loaded yet.

14. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

My old lap top is running XP and still going after about 15 yrs! Think it has the RAM maxed out and copes OK with Chrome.

I also tri booted it to run Leopard and Vista, but the Vista partition became corrupted, but Leopard still works.

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Currently using a Dell laptop running XP - SP3 and all patches. I use Firefox on it - for some historic and application reasons it is still in daily use.

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

I am using an old XP laptop at my house project - it still runs my CAD program - with XP and an older version of chrome no problem. I also run linux on an old box - 10 yrs old - with chromium browser.

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

Microsoft no longer support XP, any new software is unlikely to be compatible, that goes for browsers. If you manage to use XP on the web, you will be open to hackers and the host of scammers out there. We only use XP on machines that will not be web connected.

KIAB likes this.
  18. My God. It's like boasting that you still drive around in an old Austin Allegro. It may just about still do the job - but why would you want to ?

KIAB likes this.
  19. Dr Bodgit

I drive an Austin Marina in diarrhea colour thank you :p

snappyfish likes this.
  20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

True, but mine is an isolated box used on a building site which gets covered in dust. I'd rather use an old box there than my newer kit. It still runs an earlier version of my CAD programme and I can have my 3D sash window drawing "live" for taking and checking cutting list measurements, and also use t'internet if I need to!

see above!