old plaster type plaster on walls

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jos, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Jos

Jos New Member

Hi there,

We're refurbishing an old terraced house, basically stripped the paper off the walls upstairs and underneath is some very old looking stuff on the walls, looks almost like the lath & plaster we removed on the ceiling but without the laths behind. Forgive me for asking a stupid question but is that what exactly it is. It's straight onto the stone and is basically just black and crumbling with a harder smooth coating on the surface and would it be advisable to remove this as quite a few parts are literally hanging off the wall?

To remove it I was planning on using an SDS hammer drill/chisel, is that the best plan of action?

Thanks

2. limac

limac New Member

Hi. Can't say for 100% what you saw but probably old lime render. Just remove whatever is loose with hand chisel or bricklayers hammer. Do it by hand as you should feel the wall doing this otherwise you will en up with bare bricks all over the room. Repair the wall with coat of Hardwall and plaster. If the old render sticks to the wall firmly and the wall is "sound" you can leave it unless you want to re-render the whole house. That should do. Good luck.

3. house and home

house and home New Member

If its black and crumbling then you may not need the sds, just use a spade, miles quicker larger areas will come off at once and prevent loads of dust.......please dont forget the dust mask though, could be anything in the render, (future silicosis)

4. Jos

Jos New Member

cheers for the advice....

been wearing a dust mask most of the time working in there as the dust in deneral is pretty bad.

As regards using the Hardwall is that undercoat which you then plaster over the top with multi-finish?

5. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

If its black it seems to me as black mortar typical of a south wales house . It's black because years ago they used coal in the mix instead of lime because there was a great deal of it and easy access to it .

Hack of the loose and hardwall, render (5-1) ect and skim.

6. Jos

Jos New Member

ahhh ok, that would figure as I noticed small crystals in it which i thought looked like coal.

cheers

7. Jos

Jos New Member

just another quick question...how thick a coverage am I looking for with the Hardwall to get it nice and level as these walls are far from easy being old stones pointing in every direction and does the wall need a coat of PVA before applying the hardwall?

8. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

It depends , just keep putting coat after coat on to the right level . And yes you need to kill the suction before you start or the hardwall will crack when it's tacky give it a light scratch